Forum Discussion

AndreaBorsoi-1d
Community Member
2 months ago

Keyboard shortcut to move the timeline left and right?

Hi All,

I am trying to map a Loupedeck rotary control to Storyline360 so that I can control the timeline with a rotary knob on it. Is there a keyboard shortcut (needed to map it) that moves the timeline left and right? Anyone knows, before I ask the official Articulate Support unit?

Thanks

Best
A

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Andrea,

At first I thought you meant the HOME/END or Cursor keys shortcuts for manipulating the timeline. But that only works in Storyline itself.

I think you actually mean to control the seek bar (timeline) during the course playback, right?

In that case, unfortunately I dont think there is such a shortcut that you can call.
    Instead, I would set up CUEPOINTS in my slide(s) and the "rotary knob" (you mean Dial?) would simply jump back and forward in the cuepoints. That will definitely work, and while it might be alittle bit of work to initially set up, it would be very easily edited/changed.

Would that work you think?

• If you mean during playback this is what Articulate have for their accessible controls

Slide Controls

The play/pause button, seekbar, and replay button are semantically grouped for screen reader navigation. Learners can use the Tab key to access each control individually and activate each one using these keyboard shortcuts:

• Spacebar: Plays and pauses the timeline; replays the slide when the timeline has ended
    • Home/End: Jumps to the beginning or the end of the timeline
    • Arrows: Jumps backward or forward in 0.1-second increments
    • Page Up/Page Down: Jumps backward or forward in 1-second increments

Screen reader users can operate the seekbar as a slider interaction with standard controls.            

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Wow Phil, I thought those were only for authoring mode and werent accessible in actual playback! Nice to learn they are!

(p.s. people that contribute to ELH discussions when on holidays..... respect due! ;) )

• Hi Andrew and Phil, thanks to both. No, I meant when one is in authoring mode, the only way to go left and right is to drag the bar at the bottom of the timeline but in some slides this can be quite long and I was hoping to control it somehow with one dial in the Loupedeck (there are 6 in my Loupedeck Live and in other application they can be mapped to a number of actions, including continuous movements....zooming, rotating, increasing values....). There are buttons, those I could map easily. But I cannot seem to be able to control the bar with a dial, and it would be really useful, instead of click/drag the bar. I find some programmable buttons so useful, so so productive. Anyway....seems like I am not in luck. Thanks to both. A