Forum Discussion

BirgitHochwind
Community Member
31 days ago

Scoring by answer Drag & Drop

Hi, I have a D&D question where the numbers of 4 of 8 answers should be dropped into an empty field. The customer wants the following evaluation: 25% with one correct answer / 50% with two / 75% with three and 100% with four correct answers. The other 4 answers should be "blind" solutions.
I have added a screenshot...

Can someone help me with that?
If this is not possible with D&D, is there another question type available?

Thanks for your help and best regards

Birgit

• Hi, Birgit.

Thank you for sharing your .story file!

A few things that I noticed while reviewing your project, and my suggestions:

• The variable referenced in your “Richtig” layer is not the same as the one you use in your calculation. It should be “ResultsScorePercent” without any dots.
    • The order of triggers is very important in Storyline. If you submit the interaction right away, none of the other triggers below that one will execute. The submit trigger should be the second to last one (right before the one that shows the layer).
    • I found it easier to have one trigger to show the two layers: If you show your Falsch layer when one of the ovals is in the incorrect target (using “Or” instead of “and”), then you can use the Else option to show the Richtig layer.

• For an object to have a Drop Incorrect state, you should include a correct target. It can be a transparent object hidden in your slide, for example. In the edited version attached, you will find it on the top right of your slide.
    • Lastly, resetting the variable when the timeline starts will return it to 0 when the user needs to try it again. 

Please keep in mind that this score won’t be sent to an LMS unless you use one of the options described in the article below or follow Judy's suggestion above.

Storyline 360: How to Send the Value of a Variable to an LMS/LRS

I’m including the edited slide attached here. 

Let me know if this works!

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Birgit, we can definitely do that :)

I think we'll need to do two things -

1. make sure each of our draggable assets with scores have a "DROP CORRECT" state;

2. in the SUBMIT button, add a trigger which will calculate what total score the Learner gets from those draggable assets which have their DROP CORRECT state active.

In other words, if the asset is in the "drop correct" state we know it is correct, and therefore contributes to the final % score.
    If not, then we can ignore it.

• Multiple Choice questions include the option to assign partial credit. However, other question types, such as Multiple Response and Drag-&-Drop, don't have that option. 

The post linked below has a file that demonstrates and explains how to assign a partial score to a Multiple Response question by using those answers as conditions in triggers that answer a hidden Multiple Choice question. So perhaps you could use a Multiple Response question instead.

By the way, there's no screenshot attached.