Forum Discussion

ScottRowland
Community Member
4 months ago

Set focus in new layer

Help me Obiwan Kenobis, you're my only hope!  I'm simulating an application for training purposes and I thought this would be straightforward, but...

I have a field (call it Field A) where the user enters a numeric value.  As the field loses focus, I've set a trigger so that a layer appears that contains more fields for the user to enter.  I need the first field in the new layer to get the focus, so the user does not have to click in it, but no trigger seems to work.  Tried JavaScript but don't really know it.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Hi Scott!

Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you have multiple fields on the layer. The first data entry field that you've added to the layer will receive the focus first. Are you finding that none of the entry fields are highlighted when the layer appears?

ScottRowland
    Community Member

That's correct Lauren, the only thing that highlights is a Back to Top button in the lower right.

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hello Scott,

Thanks for confirming. 

As Lauren mentioned, the first data entry field that you've added to the layer will receive the focus first. To achieve your desired effect, the way I'd do it is:

1. Create the layer on the slide and add the data entry box in the layer first before other data entry fields.
      2. Next, I'd continue adding data entry fields in the layer.
      3. The last data entry field I'd add to the slide is the one in the base layer, but when the slide is previewed, this is the very first data entry field that will be shown.

If you follow the steps above, the first data entry field in the slide layer will be the one that will have the focus when the slide layer is initially shown. I've attached a sample project file so you can see how this type of configuration works.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• move the data field to the very bottom of the timeline it will take focus