Forum Discussion

RachelRowe-9244
Community Member
3 months ago

Spoken Content

Many of our clients use Spoken Content.
They are not visually impaired and so not using a software for someone blind or visually impaired. But because of craniocervical instability, dyslexia or other neurodivergent conditions they want the written content to be spoken.

Using vision based accessibility screenreaders like VoiceOver is not the solution, because you have to navigate your entire operating system through voiceover, as if you were blind. And clients cannot get their brains to work that way (nor should they have to- this is a different disability).

Spoken Content is different because this literally just reads the screen aloud. You just swipe and your phone starts reading the screen. Is there a way to switch this on in storyline? . Because currently Spoken Content reads our course as having "no speakable content".

VoiceOver must be able to access the text of the screen at a level "farther back" in the code. The issue I think is that spoken content can read "selected text" and there is something in the code that doesn't let the course display on the surface as text, it functions more like an image. The text is in there somewhere because VoiceOver can pick it up, as it's not literally an image of text, the text is inputted, but something in the code prevents it from being "speakable" and I suspect it is whatever prevents the text from being highlighted and copied.

Anyone have any advice?
Am i missing something? Is there a way to enable this in storyline?

No RepliesBe the first to reply