Forum Discussion

JulieAult1
Community Member
3 days ago

Storyline 360 - Quiz review and retake issue

Looking for some help. I have a quiz in Storyline 360 where I want to have learners review all of the questions (correct or incorrect) before they are presented with the option of retaking the quiz. They must score 80% or higher to pass and continue with the course.

I’m using the built-in functionality to review results and have a “Review” button they must click on the Results slide to trigger the review. When clicked, the learner is taken back to review all the questions. I have unchecked the option to show correct/incorrect responses as I don’t want them to know the correct answers -- just review all questions.

When they get to the end of the review, I’d like to present them with another button on the slide to RETAKE the quiz. And this is where I’m running into an issue. I’ve set the RETAKE button to be disabled when the timeline starts on the Failure layer. The learner would click Review and review the questions and upon returning the RETAKE button would be set to the normal state and allow them to retake the quiz. It’s not working if I actually click on REVIEW and review the quiz questions. It DOES work if I only preview that layer, click review and then I’m able to click the retake button.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get this to work? I’ve tried several approaches (not included in my attached sample) – assigning a variable to the review button and having the RETAKE button appear once the variable has changed; also created another layer to duplicate the failure layer and added the retake button on that layer only and again had it triggered by a variable or changing the state of the Review button. Nothing seems to work if you actually go back through and complete the review of the questions.

Any thoughts/ideas on how I could get this to work? Appreciate any help.

• Here's what I did to the edited version of your file to make it work:

• Set the Initial state of the Retake button to Disabled
    • Added a trigger that changes the Retake button to Normal when the timeline starts if the Review button = Visited
    • Deleted other extraneous triggers.

FYI: Visited is a built-in state that will show automatically when an object is clicked. A trigger that duplicates that action could actually cause problems. Here's more info: PRIMER: Take advantage of built-in states | Articulate - Community 

JulieAult1
      Community Member

JudyNolletthank you so much for your help and advice on how to make this work. I knew it was something relatively easy but just couldn't figure it out. I appreciate the assist!!

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

BTW, that method only works the first time the user reviews the quiz. If they fail it a second time, the Retake button will be available right away. 

I don't think that's worth worrying about. However, if you want to always make them review the questions before retaking the quiz, you could control the Retake button with a T/F variable that's switched between True and False at the appropriate times. See that in the attached file.

• A common mistake is adding a variable-change trigger to a button after a trigger that jumps to another slide. SL can't run a trigger if it's already left the slide. In other words, the variable-change trigger needs to come before the trigger that jumps to another slide.
      • Another common mistake with variables: Using a trigger that runs "when the variable changes," but the variable changes on a different slide. In that case, the slide with the trigger doesn't "see" the variable change, so it will never run. Instead, use a trigger that runs when the timeline starts with a condition based on the value of the variable.
      • Here's more info:  The Value of Variables | Articulate - Community