Forum Discussion

VickyKennie
Community Member
5 months ago

Storyline Radio Buttons

Hi! Wondering if anyone can help. I've set up a questionnaire to gauge confidence in something from 1 - 5 on each question. 

Set a trigger on the submit button to count up which radio button is clicked and then give appropriate layer at end depending on score. 

Question is, how do I stop the count from registering multiple radio buttons if a delegate clicks between different radio buttons before hitting submit?

For example if i click 4 , but then change my mind and decide actually 3 then my count trigger is adding 7. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

VickyKennie
      Community Member

Thanks, this video is very helpful!

It looks as if I did then individual radio buttons but haven't set them together. 
      I have one statement per page from 1 - 5 not confident - confident.

Trying to get the count from the individual statements for an overall score at the end. 

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

If you're still trying to figure out how to determine a "score" based on the selected statements, this post might help: TIP: Track Responses to Custom Questions or Surveys - Articulate Storyline Discussions - E-Learning Heroes 

As I said before: 

Troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue. Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
          • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
          • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.
  • What Nedim says is dependent on you selecting all the buttons for a question and setting them as a button set. That way, only one can be selected at a time.

Nedim
    Community Member

I understand you have a multiple-choice type of question with five radio buttons, all grouped within a button set. Why calculate anything when you can directly set a score upon clicking any radio button? For instance, if you click Radio button 1, set the score to "1"; if you click Radio button 2, set the score to "2," and so forth. Then, upon clicking the Submit button, display different layers based on the value of the score variable. Calculations (adding and subtracting from the score variable value) would be more relevant if you had a multiple-response type of question where you can select and deselect multiple checkboxes simultaneously. 

• If the trigger doesn't run until the user clicks Submit, it shouldn't matter whether the user clicked multiple buttons. It should only matter which buttons are selected when the trigger runs. 

Troubleshooting is just guessing without seeing the .story file. If you upload it, someone might be able to solve the issue. Here are the best practices for uploading a .story file:

• Only include slides that are related to the problem.
    • Be sure objects, layers, motion paths, and variables have meaningful names.
    • If there is proprietary content, replace or delete it. For example, replace proprietary text with “ipsum lorem” text.
      JessicaFitzp410
      Community Member

Hi Judy, I'm having the same issue as Vicky was. I utilized your  TIP: Track Responses to Custom Questions or Surveys - Articulate Storyline Discussions - E-Learning Heroes sheet to get me to this point, but I cannot seem to allow my learners to get an accurate total if they choose to change an answers. Similarly to Vicky, if a user clicks 2 then changes their mind to click one, it counts both scores in the total. I have included my .story file for reference and assistance. 

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

The button triggers in your file all "Add value __." Well, that means the variable's value will keep getting bigger and bigger with every click. 

Look closely at the demo file in my TIPS post:

• Each button set has its own variable.
        • For each button, the trigger sets the value of the variable for that button set to a specified amount. (It doesn't add to the variable.)
        • On the Feedback slide, the first trigger (re)sets the score variable to 0. That's followed by the triggers that add the appropriate variable values to the score variable. 

In your case, you want separate scores for the blue, orange, green, purple, and red questions.

• The triggers to reset the scoring variable to 0 and then add the values from the button sets could go on a custom "submit these answers" button.
        • Or they could go on the Next button. If you put then on the Next button, be sure they come before the trigger that jumps to the next slide.
        • Or you could just do all of the scoring on the feedback slide.

I highly recommend that give you all buttons and variables meaningful names. That would make programming and troubleshooting so much easier. 

I also recommend that you add temporary references to the variables on the slides, like I did in the demo file. That helps you see whether the triggers are working as expected.