Adjusting size of embedded images in a quiz

Sep 05, 2018

In a course built in Rise I added images to my quiz questions from the content library. Is there a way to adjust the size of the images?  Right now they are too large and force you to scroll down past the image to see the multiple choice selections.

Thank you...PF

19 Replies
Katie Riggio

Welcome, Patricia! 👋

Glad you're giving Rise a whirl, and thanks for sharing your insight! While there currently isn't a built-in feature to resize images in the Quiz lessons, I'm going to pass your feature request to our product team! 

There may be some alternative ways of accomplishing the same goal, though! With the custom Image & Text block, you can change image sizes to 25%, 50%, and 75%. You can also remove the top and bottom padding (the space between blocks).

ImageText

Could having that Image & Text above a custom Knowledge Check (multiple choice quiz) block–with the padding removed–help with what you're looking to do? Here's a quick sample course I mocked up, so we can compare the pre-built and custom block options.

Let me know what you think, as I'm happy to keep digging for other possibilities!

Lauren Deyce

Hi Katie, I'm brand new to Articulate and am creating my first course using Rise 360. I've been trying to adjust the image size above my quiz questions but don't see the option to adjust image and text as in your explanation above. Settings takes me to the general quiz settings, and when I select to edit the image I have a limited list of options (attached). Please tell this newbie what she's missing. :)

Veronika Pöhnl

Hi Kelly, thanks for your trick, that sure works well for viewing quizzes on PC.

I'm also struggling with images in quizzes, which just work wonderfully when viewed with mobile devices but are just a little too big (force users to scroll down to view the answer options) when viewed with a bigger monitor.

Also - thank you Katie, creating smaller images with questions below size-adjusted images in lessons looks good, but it doesn't give you the opportunity to have a comprehensive result for a number of questions. 

So I'd also be very happy for a solution that handles image size in quizzes more smoothly in different formats.

Jessa Molyneux

Hi there, 

The frustration of having engaging content vs having it be user friendly can be solved by Articulate by:

-minimizing the size of the image on the master block or

-reducing the amount of whitespace between answers so that a user can see and submit a question without the scroll and also without forcing content authors to leave images out completely (this layout is forcing us to choose between the two).

Kelly's idea is great (thank you!), if you have one size however, not when using different screen sizes the fixed position of the pictures on a tablet or iPhone is bizarre looking lol. 

Any update on this is appreciated!

Jessa Molyneux

Hey Crystal, thanks for the response. The cropping functionality makes the image even larger for the quiz questions. The rise quiz UI is made in a way so that users need to scroll down in order to press enter if an image is inserted. Are there settings that I am missing or any possibility of manually changing the code in the zip file to have the quiz question and image render without having to scroll?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jessa!

Are you using an image from the Content Library? If so, those images have very large dimensions, and they are scaled down to fit inside the quiz image area. 

Even if you crop the image, it will still appear large because the original was so large.

Instead, start with a smaller image size. Then, crop the image, and you'll notice that the result is clearly smaller than the original. 

For example, this image is 400 pixels x 300 pixels, and it fits nicely above the quiz question. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Jessa!

The image will always appear to the left. However, you can try adding some extra white space on the left and right sides of the image, which will make it appear centered. Here's how:

• Open PowerPoint.
  • Set the slide size to 16:9.
  • Insert the image on the PowerPoint slide. Scale up the image until it fills the height of the slide.
  • Align the image to the center of the slide.
  • Save the PPT file as a PNG image.
  • Insert the PNG image in the Rise 360 quiz question.

Let me know if that works!

Angelo Cruz

Hello Adam! Yes, this works with GIFs too!

I just downloaded a random GIF online and inserted it into a PowerPoint presentation following Alyssa's instructions. The exported GIF presentation is showing centered in my quiz.

Here's a quick screen recording of what it looks like. Let me know if you have any questions.