Audio in Rise overlaps

Aug 31, 2020

I have created several Rise courses.  In several of them, when I click to play the audio, it plays multiple audio files at the same time.  I cannot figure out what is happening.  It only happens on a few slides.  It seems to be when I use flash cards, but it is not consistent.

25 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Douglas! That definitely doesn't sound right, so I'm glad you reached out! Can you tell me more about when you noticed this issue?

• Does this only happen after the course is published?
  • If so, where did you host the published output file for testing?
  • What web browser were you using when you ran into this problem?
  • Would you be willing to send us the course Share link so we can test it from our side? If that works for you, you can open a case here.
Douglas Opicka

It happens both when editing the course and after it is published.

It seems to only be happening in the timeline block.

It doesn't happen with every audio in the timeline. I can't figure this
out.

I have removed the audio, and uploaded the file again and then it happens
again.

Doug Opicka
Partner/CFO
Plaid, LLC
Email: doug@BeingPlaid.com
http://www.beingPlaid.com

Martha Lewis

Late yesterday I was able to connect with Support via Live Chat and they confirmed the glitch isn't fixed.  My entire course - a history of our company - is done in timeline blocks, six of which have glitchy sound.  I think I'm facing have to completely redesign my course.  It's very disappointing and frustrating, but at least I know not to spend any more time trying to figure out what I did wrong!  My first Articulate course - and I find a bug! 

Martha Lewis

I only encounter the issue in the Timeline blocks, so I pulled the audio out of the malfunctioning timeline events and put them in separate audio files "above" the timeline events.  It doesn't look nearly as cool but it solved the problem without having to completely redo a company history "story" that was 95% timeline.  I hope to get word that the bug is fixed at some point and revert back to what I had.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Carol! It sounds like the audio in your Storyline blocks is overlapping, is that right? 

Storyline blocks automatically play by default, which can cause interference when there are multiple Storyline blocks in the same Rise 360 lesson. Here are some ways to prevent Storyline blocks from overlapping.

• Use only static content on the first slide of each Storyline course so there aren't any sounds or animations to distract learners from other content in the Rise 360 lesson.
  • If the first slide of each Storyline course has media or animations, add a trigger to each course that pauses the timeline of the first slide when the timeline starts. Then add a button to the first slide of each course that lets learners resume the timeline when they're ready to proceed.
  • Add a continue block between Storyline blocks so learners can reveal one Storyline interaction at a time.
Carol North

Hi Alyssa.

Yes, I do have multiple SL blocks in some of the lessons 🙁. I did actually add a continue block, and it works okay until they review a lesson, then suddenly all the audio in that lesson plays at once.

The trigger option doesn't fit the course - there are too many SL block and it would get tedious for the user.

I have submitted a case so I will come back here an post an answer if there is one. Thanks for your suggestions.

Susan Schleef

We are having a problem with this double audio as well, but we are not using a timeline block. We created a series of lightbox slides in Storyline, each of them autoplaying a short video when the learner clicks on the related icon. We saved the whole thing as a Storyline block to insert into Rise. Interestingly, we have so far only seen the problem when playing the course (in our LMS test site) on a Mac using Safari browser. Nobody who was testing on a PC reported this problem.

If it would be helpful for anyone at Articulate to access our course, let me know. Meanwhile we'll be trying to figure out some kind of work around.

Sierra Hillis

2 years later and it doesn't look like this glitch has been fixed in the platform. Our course contains a number of SL360 blocks and we are experiencing overlapping audio over lessons and chapters. It's very strange! We are looking to implementing a workaround from above, but it would be great if Articulate could fix this glitch!

steve cc

I have posted comments against a number of different chat streams trying to get a response from Articulate Support, to no avail.  
ARTICULATE: I've been a user of Articulate software since STUDIO first was piloted and the first user conference in Philli all those years ago.  To not get a resolution to this problem after so many people have complained about it is UNACCEPTABLE. 

The ask is simple: fix the problem!!  Either make the CONTINUE BLOCK such that when used it STOPS all AUDIO for all BLOCKS or embedded SL content that proceeds it.  

Having the CONTINUE BLOCK configuration where the previous block needs to be completed before continuing is NOT a good developer option because that may not fit the learning solution.  

Please respond either to this post, or the multiple other posts, or better yet put out a new NEWS ARTICLE so all users can be informed of the fix/update. 

Jose Tansengco

Hello Steve and Rachelle, 

I'm sorry to hear that both of you are still experiencing this issue. I went ahead and opened support cases on your behalf to get you in touch with our support team. Our support engineers will be reaching out to request copies of your Rise 360 courses so we can test the behavior and check to see if you are being affected by the bug discussed in this thread or something else that needs to be reported to our product team. 

Please be on the lookout for an email from us, and we'll continue the conversation there!