Bolded letter "i" displaying differently with different screen zoom settings

Oct 05, 2020

Hi there,

When viewing a Rise 360 course, where any bolded word (using Open Sans) containing the letter "i", seems to look like an "l" (lowercase L). The line and the dot in the "i" seem to connect. This occurs when the end user's screen zoom setting is at 100% - which is a common setting. 

At 90% or 110%, this issue does not occur.

Perhaps this is something the Dev team needs to look into as it can appear as if the word is misspelled to the end-user. This is definitely something we will receive a lot of feedback on, and would really appreciate this being sorted out as it is not a fault of our own.

We want to avoid excess work in informing the user that if the "i" looks like an "l" this is Rise 360's issue and to avoid this, please change your zoom settings as such etc.

Please see attached screenshot of the word "businesses" in the different zoom settings.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Samantha

5 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Samantha.

Thanks so much for letting us know what's going on and for including the screenshot. We're seeing the problem on our side, specifically when the text is bold and size 17 pt font. Adjusting the font to any other size seems to resolve the issue.

We're still monitoring the impact of this bug, and I'll let you know as soon as I have more information to share.