Course Progress Not Saved

Apr 12, 2018

Hello.  We are having issues with courses created in Rise and published to our LMS.  Our typical course is created in Blocks and contains 3-4 Lessons, each with multiple sections that are advanced by using CONTINUE dividers. When users exit the course using the course Exit button (set using the Export settings) and then return, it takes them to the beginning of the Lesson rather than the place within the Lesson where they left off. Also, even though they have completed a previous Lesson, the circular progress bar for that Lesson is only partially highlighted. Other notes - this is happening on both our LMS and on SCORM Cloud. Also, the good news is that when finished, the course is reporting as completed to the LMS. I appreciate your help.

40 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Guy and Dylan, 

Rise courses will resume the lesson you left off in, based on the LMS offering bookmarking capability. So for example, if you had partially completed a timeline then the next time you open the course you will be positioned at the top of the timeline, if you had partially completed a process then the next time you open the course you will be positioned at the beginning of the process. 

It won't return you to where you left off in the timeline though. The issue with the progress bar and completion circles is something our team is taking a look at as a potential bug. So I'll keep you posted here as I have any more information on that! 

Brian Lawson

In my Rise course, when a learner exits and then returns to the course later, the course picks up on the same lesson they had reached earlier, but any progress they had made in terms of course completion % goes away and starts again at zero. Is there any way to keep that progress tracked, is is this a shortcoming of my LMS? Can other LMSs track Rise courses in this way?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Brian,

Our team is looking into an issue where the progress bar and completion circles that you'd see in the left sidebar/menu are reset upon the revisit, but it also sounds like your progress within the LMS is reset too? 

We often test courses in SCORM Cloud as a comparison, since it does provide a consistent and reliable standard for SCORM behavior, so you may also want to test the course there. Or, if you'd like to share the Rise export here I'd be happy to help! 

I did a quick test there of Rise content, and upon relaunching the course I was able to pick up where I left off and finish the course. I didn't revisit any sections I'd already seen, and I was still able to be marked complete. 

Camilla Smith

We also are having issues with saving course progress. We are using the "Complete the content before moving on" block and now are removing it. We also use EXIT COURSE button but we had to remove it.

Kindly update Rise so it works on most corporate LMSs. Otherwise, please notify us as to what features are problematic when we begin to create a new Rise course so we don't deploy a beta / pilot test and run into these issues. 

As I'm going back and making the course more bare (without the 2 features above), this had cost much much time for many people and departments. 

Thank you. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Camilla,

Sorry to hear that you've run into an issue saving your course progress as well.

The resume behavior for Rise courses is controlled by the LMS. We did have an issue where the users were being brought back to the beginning of a block and the progress bar was reset. An update on 5/18/18 addressed this.

Check out our documentation here on all the updates that we've had for Rise so far.

Are you still experiencing the difficulty with the latest release? Are you able to replicate this behavior on SCORM Cloud or is it limited to your LMS?

Camilla Smith

Hi Leslie!

Thanks for the reply.

We had to remove all "Complete the content before moving on" blocks and the Exit Course button (which was a tad sad). 

I don't have the time to test on Scorm Cloud right  now, but the only way our Rise course works is with the two aforementioned removed.

Thanks for your concern.

Leslie McKerchie

I understand Camilla. Thanks for popping in with an update.

Could you share what LMS you are currently using? I'd like to keep my eyes/ears open to this since you mention the Continue Button and Exit Course Button are causing you to lose your progress in the course.

Keep in mind, you can always work directly with our team here as well if you'd like us to do some further testing.

Mauricio Ventresca

Here are two clips of my issue. I thought it was my LMS, then SCORM, the last thing I thought was this being a bug in Rise!

I am going to test removing the Exit button first, then the "Complete Content" block, keep you folks posted.  @Camila - if this is the case, you are a genius and I am forever grateful.

Leslie Scarpace

Hi - We are using Blackboard as our LMS. When exiting a Rise course before completion and returning, it doesn't save the user progress - or at least is not filling in the section buttons as complete. This sounds similar to the problems outlined in this thread. Any recommendations? I don't want to tell users that they have to complete the course in one sitting, or their progress won't be saved. 

Jim Muirhead

Hi

We are getting similar issues too with our users. We have SCORM 1.2 on Moodle. It seems that iPad/Safari users experience this issue the most, though we can't be sure if desktop or mobile users experience this too.

Could a moderator confirm: is it essential that a user clicks the 'exit course' link at the top, rather than simply close the tab/window in order to save progress? 

Thanks.

Mauricio Ventresca

Hi folks, just a quick update as I see other people having similar issues. 

I tried both ideas: with and without the exit button and continue blocks. It made no difference,  the course will lose the learner's progress with no apparent reason.

In some cases, it marked lesson 10 complete and show lessons 7,8,9 incomplete even if the navigation was restricted.  Please, Rise Engineers, figure this one out!

Allison LaMotte

Hi Leslie,

I’m sorry that you’re into an issue here.

Did you try uploading your course to SCORM Cloud to see if you experience the same behavior?

That's what we generally recommend doing to determine whether the problem stems from the course or the LMS. Here's an article that walks you through how to do that.

If it works correctly on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is coming from the LMS and you'll need to talk to your provider.

If you see the same issue on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is likely coming from the course itself. If that's the case, please reach out to our support team.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Allison LaMotte

Hi Jim,

Depending on your LMS, you may or may not have to click on the Exit Course button to save the progress. When testing on SCORM Cloud, it looks like it's not necessary. 

Have you tried uploading your course to SCORM Cloud to see if you experience the same behavior?

That's what we generally recommend doing to determine whether the problem stems from the course or the LMS. Here's an article that walks you through how to do that.

If it works correctly on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is coming from the LMS and you'll need to talk to your provider.

If you see the same issue on SCORM Cloud, then the problem is likely coming from the course itself. If that's the case, please reach out to our support team.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Ambra Scarlett

Our LMS (IMC Clix) is having the same issues. We can't use the exit course button as that functionality doesn't work with the LMS. The course and LMS work fine together to track  completion if learners finish the course in one sitting but if they leave and have to come back it doesn't remember any of their progress, not even partially.

Any advice on what the issue might be?

Crystal Horn

Hi, Ambra. 

Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed. If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes. If you need support from us with the technical details, please let us know by starting a case with us here.

Kariem Aly

Hi guys, thanks for all your posts. I'm an application developer at Online Education Services and finding similar issues on MoodleCloud. I did manage  to resolve this problem with the Auto commit setting in compatibility settings of the SCORM package. This setting exists in two places so make sure that you make the change on the actual package itself by selecting edit settings.

Here's a description of the setting if you would like to do your own research on the moodle website. https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/SCORM_settings#Auto_commit

Good luck guys!

Cerebrando .
Kariem Aly

Hi guys, thanks for all your posts. I'm an application developer at Online Education Services and finding similar issues on MoodleCloud. I did manage  to resolve this problem with the Auto commit setting in compatibility settings of the SCORM package. This setting exists in two places so make sure that you make the change on the actual package itself by selecting edit settings.

Here's a description of the setting if you would like to do your own research on the moodle website. https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/SCORM_settings#Auto_commit

Good luck guys!

Kariem, many thanks for the info, but I don't really get it, do i have to change something inside the scorm package?