Embedded video will not expand to full screen in LMS

Sep 07, 2017

when trying to make the embedded replay video (made in replay) full screen by pressing [] on the video bar in Rise, it does not work once uploaded into LMS.

see attachment

70 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Matthew,

It does not appear that you included an attachment here? If you need to share that, please feel free to update your original post or comment as a new reply using the "Add Attachment" button. 

Did the video work correctly while previewing in Rise and using the Share link? 

If something isn't working as you'd expect in the  Learning Management System (LMS), I'd also want to test it another LMS such as SCORM Cloud. It's an industry standard for LMS testing, and this article will walk you through how to get started there. 

Bryan Yeoh

Hi all,

First time posting on the community :) I've also come across this issue but within Articulate Review itself. Some of the moderators which I've sent a Review link to the Rise course mentioned the videos which attached within the "Process" lesson type could not be maximised to full screen.

However, when I tested the share link the full screen button seemed to work. I've attached a short recording as a reference.

Any updates on this yet?

Thank you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Bryan! Thanks for the helpful screen recording--I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing. I’ll meet with my team to take a closer look, so that we can verify if this is a bug. Sometimes my team catches errors in my logic and we don’t have a bug after all. Of course if that’s the case, I’ll let you know!

Thanks so much again for letting us know about this, and I’m sorry if it’s slowing you down.

Leslie McKerchie

Oh no Angie! 

Sorry to hear that you've run into this as well.

I took a look and I do not see an update nor do I have a workaround to share.

This thread is attached to the report so that we can track user impact as well as update you here when we can.

I wanted to share some information on how we define bugs and how we tackle them when they occur.

yoampi yoampi

Hi there,

I am having this issue when uploading the rise course (scorm 1.2) in our LMS cornerstone.

Videos that have been included as blocks don't open on full screen mode. You click on the "full screen" icon but it doesn't work. Same issue if we have added the video as part of a card in a labeled graphic.

however, when using a shared link, we have no issues and the video can open in full screen mode.

Is there anything we can do to make it work in the scorm package when uploaded in the LMS (cornerstone)? Do you know any workaround or coding we can add to the scorm package?

Thanks!

Hi Yoampi,

The issue Leslie mentioned earlier was specific to Rise inside Review, but we've also tested the full screen function of videos outside of Review in a LMS environment, SCORM Cloud.  It did work there, and you may also want to give your course a test there. 

If the full screen option works in SCORM Cloud but not in your LMS, that usually indicates that nothing is wrong with the Rise file itself.  The LMS might have some limitation.  Do you have a support team at Cornerstone that could help?  You can let them know that this function works in other LMS environments and see if they can shed some light on their setup.

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Will Findlay

SCORM Cloud doesn't have this issue, but other LMSs do (Cornerstone for example) and unfortunately we are at their mercy on whether they will ever fix this. My guess is that they view it as some kind of security issue. For now I just put this tip at the top of lesson pages where there are videos:

To make the videos larger you will need to increase the zoom of your browser window. Press [Ctrl] + [+] several times to make the video fill the browser window. To return to normal zoom, press [Ctrl] + [zero].

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Robert.  What are you seeing on your end?  If you can record a Peek, that would be super!

I hosted this quick example in SCORM Cloud, and the video was able to open full screen for me from the accordion interaction.  Can you let me know if that works on your end, too?  Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone!  Just an update that we fixed an issue in Articulate Review where the fullscreen option wasn't being included for embedded videos in Storyline and Rise courses hosted in Review.

You don't have to do a thing, though!  The fix will apply to all of your Review content immediately.  Let us know how it works.  😀

Pazhani Angamuthu | Principal Course Production Engineer

Hi, i am also having same issue which the full screen is not working on LMS but works in local.  I knew the issue is with iframe element which is presented in the LMS environment. I have faced the same in Articulate 360, but i found a workaround and enabled it. but same thing I tried to add some external script to enable this in Rise, but couldn't. can you please help me to add some html in the exported package or any idea to communicate between parent to child iframe in LMS. 

Hi Pazhani,

You may also want to connect with your LMS Admin and see if they had suggestions on how to change the iFrame behavior. They're your best resource for resolving behavior in the LMS. 

Also, feel free to share your script here and perhaps someone in the community can spot what may need to be changed.

Mike Amelang

I am coming up against this issue also with some Vimeo videos.

Videos that are embedded in a Storyline experience which is then embedded within a Rise course lose their fullscreen functionality. There are several reasons for this, but I'll focus on the primary reason.

When an iframe including embedded video is contained within a parent iframe, the video will not play fullscreen even if it contains the fullscreen attributes UNLESS the parent iframe also contains fullscreen attributes. See here. Unfortunately, code of the parent iframe here is dictated by Rise.

The only solution I know of is to use jQuery to add these attributes once the page has loaded. Is there a possibility that the Articulate team could add these fullscreen attributes to Storyline experiences embedded in Rise courses?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Jo Calisto

I noticed there hasn't been an update to viewing videos in full screen mode for a while, so I thought I'd post my experience from today to see if that would shed some light. I have videos in the process block and embedded videos into the labeled graphic block. The course is published to our LMS. In our testing we’ve discovered that the videos can be viewed in full screen mode using Safari and Chrome on an iPad and iPhone, and they cannot be viewed in full screen using either IE or Chrome on a Windows 7 or 10 computer. For our course we have ruled out that this is an LMS problem and it seems it is an operating system issue.