Google Analytics at Page Level in Rise

May 18, 2017

Hi Guys

One of the benefits of using Rise is that we have been able to host training outside the LMS and embed links within products. This allows us to embed those links with software products and people are able to consume training easily.

However tracking goes for a toss since Google Analytics only works at an index.html level for now.

Is there a way we can see how much time is being spent on what topic in rise?

Warm Regards

Akshay

52 Replies
Stephanie Bandli

Thanks for all the help! It worked :) It's not Google Analytics but it's (in my opinion) a better tool. It's called YandexMetrica which does all the same things as Google Analytics plus behavioural metrics. It's 100% free and is working great at the moment. I've documented how I set it up here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/articulate-rise-page-level-analytics-behavioural-metrics-bandli/ Hope it helps :) 

Jared Newnam

I read through the LinkedIn post above, and I agree that heat mapping is useful, it's very difficult to look at heat maps for every individual user. The whole concept of analytics is to see what's trending (and what's not) and look for the outliers. Those outliers will help determine how your page may or may not require changes.

So, I've not included heat mapping in my courses. I have 50 courses and I need to be able to see trends between them and not look at the individual level. They are all published the same way. I am able to everything stated in that article, except for heat mapping - which I have an alternative.

I am using a combination of GTM (Google Tag Manager) and GA (Google Analytics), for reporting. As for heat mapping, my alternative was to create a page scroll depth indicator trigger, as well as a page timer trigger. Then I combined these in a trigger group and created one event tag that relies on that trigger. While I can't see exact clicked areas of the screen... I am able to understand how far down the user has scrolled and combine that with the time on page. That tells me whether the user is skimming or reading. 

Additionally, by building out multiple event listeners, I can capture the following: 

• Side Navigation Clicks
  • Next Lesson Clicks
  • Conclusion Page Event 

With these, I can review my events in GA and with secondary dimensions, understand where users are exiting, where users are slowing down. These can assist me in understanding whether my content needs to be adjusted. 

I can also create custom reports based on the individual product and see users moving from (example) Lesson 1 to Conclusion. If I see that specific metric strong, then I know the course is intuitive and easy to move through.

My recommendation with heat maps is to use them when you see a trend of people exiting a page at a specific point, or too many click events for a specific page... then add heat mapping or screen video capturing to understand what a user is experiencing. 

Hope this helps. 

Jared

Tina Stone

Hi Akshay, 

I know it has been a long time since you started this thread but I'm hoping you can help!

I've created product tutorials using Rise 360 that we have placed on the product pages on our website. Our audience for these are potential and existing end users of our products, where they may increase their familiarity with the products before buying, or even after purchase without the need to go through the online manual documentation that we provide on a support centre website. 

I am currently looking at adding Google Analytics to this by adding tracking code to the HTML however I would also be interested in seeing how long users are spending on a topic, and also looking to see if there is a way in which we may be able to track event triggers such as hitting a 'complete' button or something akin to that so that we can see the numbers of people actually going through the entire tutorial. Have you been able to get anywhere close to anything like this?

Akshay Iyer

Hi Tina

Sadly, we sadly did not make any progress on it. I tried to get a developer to help out with this but it did not get us anywhere. We went away from that plan and set up an online academy by using Learn Upon. Customers could log in using their personal or professional email addresses and share their certificates and achievements on social media.

Sorry could not be of more help to you. Even if articulate does not allow google analytics, some alternate solution from their end would be nice.

Warm Regards

Akshay

Christina Arniotes
Valeria Pasca

Hello, 

Has anybody found a way to track clicks/visits on a Rise link? (not exported in an LMS)

I just reached out to the support group who sent me back here. Would love to know if this is possible without LMS publication in any way.

Thank you!

I would like to bump this question as well. We are trying to get some simple analytics for the Rise 360 page no in an LMS. 

Karl Muller

Hi Christina,

If you are using a Rise course outside of a LMS, you should be able to setup your own Google Analytics tracking per course. You need a Gmail account and would need the URL for each Rise course to setup at analytics.google.com

Note that Google Analytics may not track at the level you require, e.g. learner Quiz data, etc.

Niescha Farris

Hi Hazel,

Is there any update on this? I know it can be done via Storyline but as a new user this is not an easy process and researching has not really done anything for me, but make me have more questions than before. It would be nice to have built in analytics with the tool we are authoring in (Rise). 

Thanks!

Mata Henry

Hi folks, has anyone that uses SuccessFactors LMS (Learning) been able to:

• unzip the zip scorm file
  • edit the css/html file (for example adding the GA code)
  • rezip
  • successfully load into successfactors

So far, if I try to modify anything in zip file, SuccessFactors does not accept it. Other LMS' do (including scormcloud). I cannot test out adding GA code, let alone edit the css or html. 

I find this SuccessFactors LMS immensely frustrating, old, daggy and frankly, fugly...