How to remove correct/incorrect function for fill-in-the-blank questions

Aug 23, 2020

I want to include fill-in-the-blank questions that have no right or wrong answer. There is no way to account for the diversity of answers that students will provide in the 'possible answers' function, so instead I have feedback with some concepts that would be included in correct answers. Is there any way to disable the big 'correct'/'incorrect' response and just provide feedback on these questions? h

21 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hello, Lisa. Knowledge checks will always require that you designate correct answers. Some alternatives to consider:

• Use a Storyline block to embed a text entry interaction with triggered feedback.
  • Use an accordion block to offer several possible answers that expand to reveal feedback for each one.
  • Use a checklist block to show several possible answers with a text block showing feedback or an explanation beneath.
  • Use a scenario block to guide your learners through decision-making about the best answer and feedback.
Renz Sevilla

Hi Billy Joe! The Knowledge checks and quiz questions will always designate which are the correct answers in Rise 360. 

It sounds like you need an open-ended question or survey-type question in Rise. We're tracking a feature request for this, and I've added you to this list.

As a workaround, users have had success with the following methods:

- Users have created an open-ended question outside of Rise 360 such as in Storyline 360, published to Review 360, and inserted it in an SL block in Rise 360.
- Other users have used a 3rd Party form such as Google forms and inserted this in an embed block in Rise 360. 

Please also note, that your other post is in a Storyline 360 section of the forums. A solution to that post will be different than for Rise 360. Hope that helps!

Jeff Samek

This is also a big issue for us in our products.  I have built so many fill in the blanks under the assumption there doesn't have to be a correct answer because as a teacher that's why I've selected that interaction.  I don't have the Storyline experience which is why I work in RISE.  When do you foresee this change or solution happening?  I'd really like to not have to do these work arounds if something is soon on the horizon to make that change...

Andrea Mulcahy

I am adding my vote to the multiple years of requests for this feature. I know how to do the workarounds, but it would be so much easier if we could just do everything in Rise. Right now I create the survey type question in Quizmaker 360, then use Review 360 and Storyline 360 to be able to put it into Rise. Such a waste of time.

Marc McCann

Adding to this long list of requests for this feature. Here's another explicit example of why not having this feature prioritized is concerning: 

We're doing a microlearning on Emotional Intelligence. We're asking learners to identify one emotion that they're feeling from an emotion wheel. Whenever they submit an answer, the Rise360 response is "incorrect". 

We'll obviously change the content to not have this situation happen for our learners, but this opportunity to expand their emotional vocabulary is limited by a feature that's been requested for nearly 3 years.