I want to make the audio files optional to listen to in my course. Can I do that while still restricting navigation? Thanks!

Jul 10, 2023

Dear Community, 

This is my first time developing a course in Articulate 360. When I first developed the course, I decided to add some audio files (narration of select text) so that learners would have the option of reading or listening. My goal was to be accommodating to different learning styles. However, because I also want to restrict navigation, the audio files are no longer optional. Is there a way to change that? Thanks!

5 Replies
Gren Foronda

Hi Tracy!

Even when setting the Navigation Mode to Restricted, the Audio blocks are still optional --  learners aren't required to listen to them before navigating the next lesson. Learners are required to take lessons in order.

Do you have a Continue block after your Audio block, or at the end of the lesson? If you have set the Continue block to Complete Block Directly Above or Complete All Blocks Above, then the learner will be required to listen to the audio before going to the next section or lesson. 

Let us know how you set up your restricted navigation so we can assist you further.

Rebecca Winnier

Late to the party - but here's what I do: I put the audio on a layer. The player's navigation restrictions only look at the main slide. The audio on the layer can either 1) audio play so everyone hears it (but it doesn't keep the next button from unlocking) or 2) sometimes I add a "play" button (on the layer w/the audio) so they can choose to listen to the audio. Either way, the next button restriction ends when the timeline ends on the main layer.

Rebecca Winnier

Thanks for clarifying that Angelo. I was searching for Storyline and this question popped up - and didn't look at the header to see which program the question was about.  I didn't know we could restrict the navigation in Rise based on completing the audio (we've only used audio as an option in there so far) so will look into that for the future.