Inconsistencies with Screen Readers

Jun 07, 2021

Hi! My team has been experimenting with the latest accessibility updates in Rise. We're currently working to gain an understanding of screen readers and how they read through Rise courses. We've tested a few different screen readers, such as NVDA, JAWS, and VoiceOver. 

One issue we're having is with 2, 3, and 4 column grids. We've noticed that the screen readers listed above will read the alt-text applied to the images within these components, but fail to read the captions underneath the images. The captions get skipped over, even when the element is selected. We're curious if this issue is specific to the image grid components, or if it applies to captions within all image-related components such as image centered or full-width? We're mostly curious about why this happens and if there's anything we can do on our end to fix it. 

Thank you! 

13 Replies
Renz Sevilla

Hi Kendra! Thanks for reaching out! I understand you're having trouble with using different screen readers and inconsistencies among them. In order to assist you better, I'd like to invite you to submit a case with us so our support engineers can help test our applications against the screenreaders. 

Our support engineers will help you get to the bottom of this!

Matthew Guyan

Hi there, 

I was looking at a four column grid and yes, the above has been fixed in that a screen reader (I'm testing with using JAWS) does read the captions.

However, if the 'Enable zoom on image click' check box in the settings is de-selected, my screen reader skips skips the block. The work around seems to be to put the caption text as the alt text.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Matthew!

Thanks for sharing what you're experiencing with your Four-column grid gallery block when testing with JAWS.

I am unable to replicate this behavior, so I'm curious how you are navigating your course. 

To navigate your course effectively, it's important to understand how screen readers interact with images and their alt text. Alt text on images is non-interactive, which means if you're using the tab key to move through the course, the screen reader won't announce this text. However, when an image is set to become interactive through the "enable zoom on image click" feature, it changes how you should navigate.

To ensure the screen reader reads out interactive elements and text, use the down arrow key instead of tabbing. If you prefer hotkeys, the 'G' key is your go-to for moving between images.