Internal Links in Rise Courses

Dec 25, 2018

I am currently developing an electronic User Guide in Rise and in Section 2 of the guide I cover System Operation. This section includes a list of topics in two columns, followed by nineteen separate blocks that cover each of the topics. What I would like to be able to do is to use the list of topics as an interactive contents list such that each topic provides a link to the appropriate block below it and takes the user directly to their topic of choice when it is clicked on in the list.

Although I am aware of how to create links to external URLs, I cannot find a way to develop internal links within a Rise course to enable me to achieve the desired outcome for my User Guide. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

If this is not currently possible, I would like to recommend it for a future upgrade as I believe it could prove a popular addition to Rise.

70 Replies
Trina Rimmer

Hi Ned. If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, I think Rise may have you covered! With the button stack block (located under the interactive blocks menu) you can point to other lessons within your Rise course. So, when the learner clicks the button for Section 3, for instance, you'd point that button to the Rise lesson containing Section 3 resources. If this sounds like what you're trying to achieve and you want to learn more about working with the button stack block, check out this how-to article for the step-by-step details. And if I've misunderstood, please reply and I'll try to take another crack at it!

Ned Whiteley

Hi Trina. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the Button Stack doesn't quite achieve what I am after, although it is a great way to move around between different lessons in a course.

What I am trying to do is to move around within an individual lesson such that I could use the first block as a contents list or menu, from which I could be directed to another block within the same lesson, via a link. Another link could then return me to the menu on completion. I realise that I can scroll through an individual lesson, but for a User Guide, which is what I am currently working on, it looks a lot better to just be able to click on a link to go to the information you are after.

If such a option were available, I think it would add a lot of flexibility to Rise, particularly for large courses, as it would enable users to quickly navigate around the course without having to spend a lot of time scrolling.

Trina Rimmer

Hi again, Ned. Thanks for clarifying your needs. What you're describing (a block anchor of sorts) isn't something Rise can currently do, however, I think that could be a really powerful feature. Would you mind sharing it with our team, directly with a feature request? I'm sure they'd love to hear from you with specifics on how this would improve your authoring experience in Rise.