Issue with re-versioning Rise and storyline 360 (scrom 1.2) in cornerstone!!!

Sep 27, 2019

Hi,

We use Cornerstone on-demand in our company. Recently, we have some difficulty to replace our courses made by Rise(scorm 1.2) on LMS. After publishing our course on Cornerstone, we had some minor corrections with texts and replacement some words(typo), but nothing changed in the structure at all it was completely the same. However, we recognized after exporting for the second time we were not able to replace the course and we need to create another version which is not really applicable in our situation because the courses are a part of the curriculum on LMS and if each courses get the new version curriculum will get a new version for each course. It means that if I have a curriculum with 3 courses the last version of the curriculum after re-versioning will end up with version 4.0 which is not really good and somehow impact the report. To add more, in my investigation I found out something changes inside SCORM manifest. Could you please explain what's going on? and how we can resolve this issue from Articulate standing point?

Thank,

Mahsa

10 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hello, Mahsa. In most cases, when you update an existing course, the LMS will treat it as a new version and the content won't resume for your learners. Some LMSs will update a course with very minor changes without disrupting the progress of learners, but that behavior varies. There isn't anything to do differently in Rise 360, but you may want to see if Cornerstone offers a versioning feature for courses that undergo minor edits.

Daniel Schissler

Was there a published solution to this issue? I have a client using Cornerstone and they are reporting the same issue. SL3 is the product being used but I would imagine the "fix" would be similar. There was a visual correction to an image state in the course and now Cornerstone is not accepting the new version giving the same critical error as the OP.

Andrea Briganti

Hi , I have a client who purchased one of our courses developed with Rise. After few weeks we sent to the client a new version with few amendments on some wording. The client notified us that they were unable to replace the previous scorm file because of a strange error about the manifest structure. I did an analysis of the file and I spot that the identifier was the unique element who changed in that file. Can this detail be the cause? I am in contact with the client but they are not really supportive...

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Andrea! 

Each time you publish a Rise 360 course for LMS, it will generate a unique identifier. Right now, Rise 360 doesn't support versioning with the same identifier. 

What happened when your client uploaded the updated version of the course to the LMS? Did they try clearing the suspend data?

Andrea Briganti

Dear Alyssa,

well first of all it is clear that Articulate has the duty to make sure that the identifier remains the same in case of updates. Apart from that, as soon as the client is uploading the new version the attached error appears. The client is not clearing suspend data, it just prepare a new course on the LMS but this is not a solution. 

On my side, I spot that in the manifest file only the identifier has changed so I don't know if copying and paste the original one in the updated scorm can be a possible solution. I am in contact with the client but they are extremely slow in answering me even to schedule a call.

Please forward my possible solution to your technical expert and let me know if it can be possible. I also kindly ask you to open a request in order to fix the "issue" with the identifier. I got a rumour that something went wrong with LMS Totara as well...

Andrea Briganti

Hello

I encounter the same errors with another of my clients on Cornerstone. It seems that this LMS doesn't allow to replace an existing SCORM. I believe that Articulate must investigate with Cornerstone in order to understand the reason of this behavior/error. As per my understanding, other authoring tools have not such issues.

Thank you very much

andrea