Mobile Play button Storyline 360 block in Rise

Mar 12, 2020

I have a simple, single slide Storyline 360 block inserted into rise.

The Storyline block does not have any media in it (Video/Audio).

On mobile, the Storyline block appears with a play button which must be clicked before the block is initialised.

Why does this play button appear when the Storyline 360 content does not contain any media. I understand the need if there is media to get around the issue of autoplay media for mobile, but the play button is completely redundant in this case.

Is there a JavaScript API I can access in SL to get around this issue. I've been looking through the code, the best I could find was this.onStart(), but I don't think this is a public method.

41 Replies
Larry Blair

I'll add another current voice to requesting this. Can't believe the 'expected behaviour' has not been added to in 4+ years with this. At the very least, let us theme the colours of the background and play button and perhaps a text prompt within the feature (everyone's thumbnail idea would be nice too).

I wish it wasn't becoming so common for me to look up how to work around something by Articulate, find a post from someone else 4+ years ago, a positive word from an Articulate staffer and zero action.

Jerry Donney

This is crazy that removing this "Play" arrow on a Storyline Block is not a priority.  SL Blocks are not needed for "Media" in Rise, and I do not know a single developer who thinks these play arrows are useful in any way.  They are a poor user experience in almost every way we utilize SL blocks.  This is actually hindering us from creatively enhancing our Rise courses with SL Blocks. PLEASE reconsider the urgency in correcting this issue on Mobile devices.  Thank you.

Nicole Brady

Hi Felix, 

Can you clarify what you mean about a button block? Are you talking about the button block that is in Rise? Are you talking about adding a button to the storyline block? I'd love to see an example - I'm currently trying to trouble shoot this big black play button issue on Rise mobile. 

Thanks in advance

Jerry Donney

Nicole, if you are trying to problem solve the big play arrow, I am re-pasting my post from a year ago (sorry for the long post).  Until this is fixed, you can select a thumb nail image when you publish your SL Block that will at least replace the black box.

This is crazy that removing this "Play" arrow on a Storyline Block is not a priority.  SL Blocks are not needed for "Media" in Rise, and I do not know a single developer who thinks these play arrows are useful in any way.  They are a poor user experience in almost every way we utilize SL blocks.  This is actually hindering us from creatively enhancing our Rise courses with SL Blocks. PLEASE reconsider the urgency in correcting this issue on Mobile devices.  Thank you.

Meta Bjerregaard

I can't believe that this is still an issue.
We have several customers complaining about the SL blocks showing up with a black box and a play button on mobile, so NO - this is not expected behaviour. It's not expected behaviour that your course looks completely different when viewed on mobile instead of a PC.
Another problem is that once you've pressed play and finished your SL block exercise, users will intuitively press the continue button underneath the SL block. But unfortunately, you can't access the continue button underneath because you need to first close the SL block by pressing the tiny x in the upper right (or left) corner. This is if you have player controls turned off in SL.
If you have player controls on in SL, you can "hide" the continue button underneath until the user realises that he/she needs to close the SL block before they can continue. The problem with this is that if you turn player controls on, the spacing between the x at the top and the exercise gets too wide (when viewing in an LMS), so the user needs to scroll all the way down to the exercise (if he/she even realises that there is an exercise there). It's just not possible to make a proper working user experience when using SL blocks in Rise and viewing on a mobile. It's very frustrating. At this point - we just can't use SL and Rise together. Because in this day and age, everyone wants to be able to view their e-learning on a mobile device...

Amy Wightman

Here to echo the other comments, the thumbnail is nice but it's extremely unfortunate that you still can't have blocks auto-playing on mobile without the horrible button.

As others have highlighted it ruins the user experience and limits creativity for designers. It's very disappointing when it could be an excellent tool to help create better visuals and interactions. With so many users now viewing content on mobile or tablet, and so many articulate customers requesting this feature, it would be great to see this become a priority. 

Additionally, it would be great to be able to toggle on and off the full-screen mode for storyline blocks on mobiles or tablets. Some elements will likely never need the user to zoom in e.g. just for enhanced visuals or a small animation, and as others have pointed out it can limit course navigation if the user doesn't see the very faint controls to exit the zoom state.