Mobile Play button Storyline 360 block in Rise

I have a simple, single slide Storyline 360 block inserted into rise.

The Storyline block does not have any media in it (Video/Audio).

On mobile, the Storyline block appears with a play button which must be clicked before the block is initialised.

Why does this play button appear when the Storyline 360 content does not contain any media. I understand the need if there is media to get around the issue of autoplay media for mobile, but the play button is completely redundant in this case.

Is there a JavaScript API I can access in SL to get around this issue. I've been looking through the code, the best I could find was this.onStart(), but I don't think this is a public method.

8 Replies
Sam Hill

Hi Alyssa, thanks for the response. 

Are you able to let me know what the purpose of this button is. My Storyline file does not contain any media, and therefore shouldn't need this initial interaction from the user. It just feels like a redundant button?

Also, are your development team able to let us know if there is any way to get around this. Maybe there is a JavaScript method that we can run?

Cheers

Crystal Horn

Hi Sam. On mobile phones, the Storyline block will expand to full screen for a better viewing experience once you click the play button. On tablets, if there is enough room on the screen, the Storyline block may not expand to full screen, but it will still use the play button.

I'm sorry I can't help with JavaScript execution in output files. If there is someone in the community who has successfully edited the Storyline assets in a Rise 360 output, feel free to share!

Jodi Sansone

Hi Crystal and Alyssa,

Just to be clear, the way I understand this thread is that there is no way to insert a storyline block in Rise without  the play button showing up in Mobile devices....and that would be phones or tablets.  I see you write that this is "expected" behavior.  Is that for every Storyline block type?  It's really a shame because seeing that black block show up in the middle of a beautiful course ruins the whole experience for me and makes me not want to use Rise.

Sam Hill

Hi Jodi, this appears to be the curent situation. Storyline blocks will always show the play button and black overlay on mobile/tablet. There is not anything you can do about this if inserting the SL files into Rise.

The only way it can be changed, but I'd advise against it as a solution is making a post publish/export edit to the Storyline files. This same edit would have to be made everytime the files are re-published and becomes a maintenance issue.

Sam Hill

No worries. No workaround for us. For a recent project, our client chose to live with it. I think the more you can get away with not using Storyline blocks in Rise the better, but there are still some significant holes in Rise's out of the box interactions that we still have to use Storyline to patch those for the time being.