Reducing file sizes of SCORM 1.2 .zip files

Jan 30, 2023

I just exported my Rise360 course to a SCORM 1.2 .zip file. The final compressed size of the file was over 30 MB. My LMS (Moodle) will only allow uploads less than 20 MB. I already have all of my media elements optimized. Does anyone know any way to reduce the size of the .zip file?

9 Replies
Joe Jongue

It appears that scenario blocks significantly contribute to the overall output size of your SCORM files. For instance, if you include three-character poses in a scenario block, the final output will contain ALL poses, whether they are used or not. These character images are typically high-definition and can be as large as 1MB, so having 25 poses could result in an additional 30MB. This becomes especially problematic if your course includes multiple scenario blocks, as it can quickly accumulate in size.

The workaround, I believe, is to go into the scormcontent/assets folder in the .zip file and delete the unused poses.

Karl Muller

Hi Christian,

We upload our videos to Vimeo. While this solves the bloat issue, it does have a negative  impact as you need to change from a Video block to an Embed block.

Video block completion can be managed using a Continue block, while with Embed blocks you can't track if the video was viewed or not.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Tim! Are you looking to reduce the published output file size?

If so, you can adjust the quality settings prior to publishing by following these steps:

Also, does your file contain videos? If you can host the videos on a third party site and embed them as Web Objects, that'll significantly reduce the overall file size.

Please report back and let us know how that goes!