Rise Button Stack block with empty Destination field causes major issues

Mar 29, 2023

I want to draw attention to an issue I recently encountered with a Rise course that we published for SCORM 1.2 and hosted in our LMS. Within the course there was a button stack block where one of the buttons did not have a specified destination (see attached screenshot). When a user would click that button, the browser window containing the Rise course would go completely white, and never recover. When attempting to fix the issue by closing and re-launching the course, the course would re-load on that white screen and would never load. It seems clicking the button without the specified destination not only took the user "nowhere," but also prevented them from ever going anywhere again by setting a SCORM bookmark to "nowhere" guaranteeing they would always return there upon launch. The only fix is to set the destination in Rise, re-publish, and then re-assign the course (which is no simple task when you may have hundreds of enrolled and affected users). 

Yes, of course--the button stack button should have had a specified destination; however, that is a very easy oversight to make and  Rise should have safeguards in place to prevent it from happening (not permitting publishing when a button does not have a specified destination) or at least reduce the impact of the issue, such as not "setting a bookmark"--sending SCORM progress data to the LMS--for a button without a specified destination, or even better, having the button simply do NOTHING when there is not a specified destination (much better than the "something" it does do!). 

Not sure if the Community forum is the best place for the above info but I expect others may experience this same problem, and perhaps someone here can enlighten me in case I am missing something important. Also I know the Articulate team monitors this community well so perhaps a staff member can direct me with how best to address this issue.

Thanks!

2 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hi Brandon, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this snag. 

I created a simple Rise 360 course containing just a button stack that did not have any of its destinations set and uploaded this to our LMS, and the behavior that I received on my end just redirects the learners back to the course when any of the buttons are clicked. Here's a link to the sample course hosted on SCORM Cloud so you can check if you experience similar behavior. 

For your reference, here's a screenshot showing the settings of the button stack that I used for testing: 

And I can verify that I also exported the course using SCORM 1.2. I recommend testing how your course behaves in another LMS to see if the behavior you're experiencing is specific to the LMS that you are using. If you are able to replicate the behavior in SCORM Cloud, open a case with our support team here so we can take a closer look at what's happening.