Rise course blocked as pop-up in Mozilla

Oct 04, 2021

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone experienced the issue of Rise courses being blocked as pop-up in Mozilla only? Other courses created in i.e. Storyline work just fine, so do the Rise courses in other browsers or if I unblock pop-ups.

This is causing a huge risk to our customer base not being able to open the course as immediately once you click on the course in our LMS, it gets immediately blocked/closed (it is technically not an LMS but the issue is happening on browser level).

Thanks

Veronika

7 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Veronika,

In our LMS, when students click to access a course, the LMS tries to open the course in a new browser window.

All browsers by default will block the course window from being launched.

Students must first allow/unblock popup windows coming from the LMS before they can retry and launch a course.

This has to be done once only, and we have provided detailed instructions for each major browser to make sure this as easy as possible for our students.

So it requires some education of your students.

Veronika Domorakova

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the reply but that is not quite the case here I am afraid.

Let me sum up the facts - maybe this will bring more clarify into the topic

- We do not use a standard LMS (we have instead our own built in application in the user platform that mirrors some functionalities of an LMS)

- It happens to courses created with Rise only, not courses created in Storyline or pdfs

- It started happening only recently

- The Rise course s open in other browsers i.e. Chrome, Explorer, Edge normally, all works perfectly, so it has something to do with Firefox.

So to sum up, this issue is very odd and I have just tested that even allowing pop ups will prevent the course from happening. But on the contrary, when open in a new private window, the Rise course launches normally.

Any ideas anyone please?

Best,

Veronika

Lea Agato

Hi Veronika, do you have the latest version of Firefox installed? If not, please install the latest version and see if you still get the issue. You can also try opening Rise in a private browser window in Firefox. Use the shortcut Shift + ⌘ + P (on macOS) or Shift + CTRL + P (on Windows/Linux) to do this. Let us know how it goes!

Veronika Domorakova

Hi Lea,

I am afraid that I have installed the latest Mozilla version and indeed, opening the Rise course in a private window works, but that is not the desired workaround here as our learners (thousands) would not know intuitively to open it up in a private window.

Any other thoughts? Seems like a Firefox issue and it must be related to Rise, since Storyline exports work just fine.

Our team is running out of ideas how to fix this, since previously it worked without any issue as expected.

Best,

Veronika

Veronika Domorakova

Hi @Lea

I am afraid this does not help either :(

Simply, the Rise courses still get blocked and force-closed. Other browsers do not have this issue. What else can we do? Did other users report the same issue?

It did not use to happen in the past, so it must be only a very recent and has something to do with some of the latest Firefox update releases.

Thanks a lot,

Veronika