Rise: Focus Visible: what theme/button colors are supported?

Jan 31, 2023

This is a 2.4.7 Focus Visible (AA) question:

The Rise VPAT indicates this functionality is supported.

Is there documentation of which color values (Theme, Buttons) will reliably produce a perceivable focus rectangle?

In testing this functionality, I'm seeing mixed results. With some colors, the focus rectangle is imperceptible.

6 Replies
Marvie Mulder

Hi Liz!

We are relying on the browser's default focus ring to indicate where the current keyboard focus is. This is why you may be getting mixed results. Different browsers have their own focus indicator styling. For example, Safari's default is a light blue outline, while in Chrome you'll see dark blue with a white outline. 

Marvie

Katalin Szonyi

Hello, For accessibility reasons, I'd like to change the focus rectangle's color in Rise. Currently, when the video (embedded in a Rise course) is in focus (using the tab key), the black focus rectangle is nearly impossible to see. Is there a way to change the color and even the stroke size of this focus rectangle's outline in Rise? The course will be used by 100s of learners so I'd like to make this change in Rise (versus relying on different browsers' default focus indicators). Thank you in advance for any recommendations.  Video w black focus square

Naomi Pusch

So, that is to say that we cannot change it (to Katalin's question)? If so, is this a feature request we could submit? Or is it not changeable?

If not, perhaps there should be a warning with certain color schemes/templates to say that it may cause color contrast issues, e.g., using dark blue for buttons will cause a color contrast issue when using Chrome as Liz suggests.