Rise in Moodle on iOS - can't scroll to bottom

Jan 20, 2020

I have a weird issue with scrolling in Moodle. I have blocks of content with a continue button at the bottom of each page. I can't get to that on an iPhone (I'm testing on a iPhone 6SE ios13 - the smallest one they still sell). In my mobile testing browser (Blisk) and on my older iPad (ios 10) it works just fine. It appears to be related to the screen space.

When I look at the course on the same device using the "share" link, it seems to work just fine. Is there a difference applied to the player when it is exported as scorm? (shouldn't think so). 

Moodle has these scorm appearance settings:

display: new window
width + height : 100%
options: untick all options
display name: untick
skip structure: always
disable preview: yes
display structure on entry page: no
display course structure in player: disabled

The content appears in a new window just fine and appears to work, but I am unable to get to the bottom of each screen - not just a few pixels either, but often whole sections won't be scrollable or accessible. See the attached screen recording.

I've tried setting Moodle to open the content in the same window rather than a popup but then the content space is so tiny on the iphone 6SE you can't even see anything. People say "that's a theming problem in your site" and walk away from you if you mention it.

Since my course navigation is in restricted, this means certain pages block the completion of the course because scrolling doesn't work. What can be done here? "Don't use iPhone" isn't a great option.

13 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tim. We're seeing some issues with scrolling Rise lessons from Moodle on iPhones. I tested on an iPhone 8 using iOS 13 and am seeing the same behavior in our version of Moodle. It looks like the content is still displayed in an iframe even when launched in a new window on our end.

We're going to investigate, and we'll update you here. I'm sorry I don't have a workaround to offer at this time.

Clas Ohlson

Hi! Any news regarding this? It does not seem to be Moodle only though. The same issue appears in for example the eloomi LMS (https://eloomi.com/) and I have tested on both iPhone XS and iPhone 7. Android users seem to be spared from this issue.

Just as Tim writes, when using the preview link from inside Rise 360 navigation works just fine.

Crystal Horn

Hi Samuel. I'll add eloomi to our documentation for this issue. I found that using mobile Safari, I was able to scroll back up and minimize the browser elements to allow for navigation at the bottom. With mobile Chrome, I had less success getting the navigation to appear.

In the meantime, we'll keep you posted on any changes we make on our end.

Clas Ohlson

I was just in contact with Vevette in your customer support, who sent me a GIF showing how to remove the Safari browser navigation by clicking and dragging the URL section of the browser upward (simply scrolling back up does not fix this issue, at least not on iPhone XS). Apparently this is an issue when the LMS opens the Rise SCORM inside a frame. Then Rise cannot detect the actual screen size, leading to the content not being displayed correctly. 

Marty Slapnik

I can confirm that this issue when displayed within Moodle is still a real problem.  I've launched Rise courses on iPhone 10 with both Chrome and Safari browsers and the same thing happens.  CANNOT scroll all the way to the bottom to click the Continue button, rendering the course un-navigable.

What is being done about this from the Articulate side?

Marty Slapnik

There seems to be a partial workaround for this issue which I just discovered.  In Rise, you can add 100px padding to the bottom of all Continue buttons.  This will push the button up to where it can be accessed on both Chrome and Safari browsers.

However, this isn't a full fix, as when you review lessons that have been completed you cannot scroll down to the gray bar that allows the user to advance to the next lesson.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone,

Thanks for giving us some time to look into this behavior.

Even when your course is launched in a new window, Moodle displays Rise 360 content inside an iframe. This generates two scrollbars — an inner scrollbar for the Rise 360 content inside the iframe, and an outer scrollbar for the Moodle interface. This short mobile screen recording displays the two scrollbars.

If you scroll down on a mobile device but you can’t see the next button, this is likely because the outer scrollbar hasn’t reached the bottom of the Moodle interface.  

Unfortunately, the Rise 360 output doesn’t control this behavior in Moodle. Connect with your Moodle support to find out if there is a way to displace your courses in a new window without any Moodle interface/iframe.