Saving Rise Source Files to Local Hard Drive

Apr 03, 2017

Hi

Currently it does not seem possible to save the Rise source files to one's local machine. As we plan do develop some modules in Rise for clients, we would need to send them the source files if they would like to modify the modules themselves at a later stage. 

I understand that there may be sharing of Rise files between accounts for collaborative work in the near future, is there a timeframe for rollout on this? 

Do you know if or how source files can be saved, or when this may be implemented?

115 Replies
Kevin Fox

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for responding, that's good news about the translate function in rise but unfortunately with the time restrictions on my course needing to be rolled out across both UK and Spain I would need to look into another viable option.

I have been led to believe we already have a Teams account although currently I'm the only one with a licence as I was trialling it. Can you advise how much of a task it would be for my colleague in  Spain to get access to the team? would they need a licence for them then need to be added to the team? would it be simple to have them removed afterwards? Sorry I do not deal with the licensing etc from our end so it's all strange to me.

Also is a Teams account the only way for someone to gain access to the source copy of my Rise course?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Steven,

Your courses will remain intact on our servers for at least six months after your trial or subscription expires unless you delete them beforehand. Anyone who has direct links to your courses will still be able to view them. However, you won't be able to edit or export them. 

If you'd like to download them before your trial or subscription ends, do this for each Rise course: 

1) Click Export in the upper right corner. 

2) Use the LMS drop-down list to select an LMS spec or choose No LMS—Web Only. 

3) Click Export in the upper right corner again to download a zip package of your course. 

Learners will still be able to view published Rise courses that you host on your own web server or LMS. 

See this article for details about what to do before your account expires and what happens to your apps and content afterwards.

Jenna Gallagher

Read through the discussion but I don't see the answer I am looking for. I have a course I built in RISE that I would like to share with a translation company so they can localize the course in several languages. It looks like the "export for translation" feature is not going to be ready for Q2 - so we'd have to work with copy/paste text based documents and input the translation ourselves. The translation company has a 360 License but I can't share the project with them as they are not on "my team". Is there any way to share the course access so they can edit it with their own 360 license?

Cass Netzley
Jenna Gallagher

Read through the discussion but I don't see the answer I am looking for. I have a course I built in RISE that I would like to share with a translation company so they can localize the course in several languages. It looks like the "export for translation" feature is not going to be ready for Q2 - so we'd have to work with copy/paste text based documents and input the translation ourselves. The translation company has a 360 License but I can't share the project with them as they are not on "my team". Is there any way to share the course access so they can edit it with their own 360 license?

Jenna,

You could use the 'Send a copy' feature accessible from your main menu of Rise where all your course projects are listed. Select the three horizontal dot object that opens up a menu for courses you have ownership of, and then select the 'Send a copy' option. As long as the translation company gives you the correct email address associated with their A360 account, the copy will send successfully. 

One caveat, it's a snapshot of your project, so any changes you make from after won't be displayed in their copy. 

-Cass 

Jonathan Yaseen

Out of interest. What if we start developing all of our courses in Rise and for instance, Articulate decide to pull Rise in years to come, what are the chances of Articulate allowing us to continue to edit our Rise files? What happens if Articulate go bust? What happens to our source files?

At least with Storyline we have the software installed locally and could continue to edit the source files even if the software got discontinued.

James Trew

Not being able to work, and save source files locally is going to be a stopper for our company. I'm sure many companies have policies in place that restrict cloud use due to data security issues. I'm really hoping you guys can approve this feature for those who need to keep sensitive data on-site. I've enjoyed trialling Rise though, I really like it.

Neal Peterson

Howdy—we like the Rise Send a copy via email option, as well as the function to transfer course ownership.

We do have a policy of storing all source material created by both our team and any third parties that we engage with for learning content production. Thus, let me add another voice to the we-would-love-to-be-able-to-get-source-files-out-of-Rise chorus out there. Thanks!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi everyone,

A few of you have asked about the ability to translate a Rise course. Good news! You can now localize a Rise course into other languages using the new Export for Translation feature. 

Check out our latest Rise release notes here to find out what else we've been up to lately.  😊

Glen Murdock

Please count one more voice clamoring for the ability to save a local source file! I work on a team of administrators supporting a team of instructional designers in a heavily regulated industry, and we're just looking into Rise as it really makes for elegant learning materials. We're looking at developing more using Rise as opposed to Storyline, however the cloud-based structure of Rise does give us pause.

The big questions for us are: What do we do when a regulator requests all of our training materials post-incident? How do we track and control versions? The PDF feature seems like a good fit for tracking versions (make a course, PDF it, file it; revise a course, PDF the new version, archive that, etc.), and the ability to create preview links just like we do in Storyline 360 should enable us to let a regulator view the course nearly in situ. I guess we could 'Create a Copy' every time we want to revise the course so that each version would be distinct and accessible at a later date to fit this function. I'm not sure managing some 1500+ courses in the Rise home page is going to be as effective (or fun!) as our in-house filing system, however it seems there's enough noise being generated in favor of a downloadable source file feature that we will likely be able to get the best of both worlds soon enough.

Jason Wyatt

Glen, you hit on an important aspect – version control and managing a large number of courses in the Rise homepage. It’s one thing to have 10-20 courses, quite another to have 100+ with different versions. It’d be great if we could keep only the current versions in Rise, while downloading an offline copy of past versions for our records and to be accessible at a later date if needed.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Glen and Jason,

You've shared some really valuable insight here, and I appreciate your honesty. It's really helpful for us to know how folks are using the new features we've added (like export to PDF) and how we can continue to improve.

I'd agree that creating a copy of the course each time you make a revision is a great idea, but I can also see how that'd make your Rise dashboard messy and overwhelming. Hopefully you're already using the new folders feature to keep your files organized. While moving a course to a folder won't remove it from the dashboard, it'll be much easier to find when you need it. 

As always, keep letting us know about your needs. We appreciate you sticking with us as we work hard to make a product you'll love!

Dawn Barker

Wondering if it is possible to download the source file package yet, and re-upload for future edits? We have confidential content that our IT is not comfortable with hosting on your server. I see you had submitted a request 9 months ago - has anything been done in this regard? Without it, we won't be able to use Rise for most of our eLearning, as our security protocols require sensitive data to be hosted in-house. Thank you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Dawn!

We take security seriously at Articulate. We understand how important data protection is to our customers and we work hard to maintain your trust. And we’re transparent about our data management practices so you can feel comfortable using our software. Read our white paper on security policy to learn about our approach, see what information we collect, and review our privacy policy to get additional details on how we protect personal information.

That being said, there isn't a way to download a Rise source file and re-upload it for future edits. If you want to speak with us more about your concerns, we're here to help. Simply reach out to our Engineers here.