Saving Rise Source Files to Local Hard Drive

Apr 03, 2017

Hi

Currently it does not seem possible to save the Rise source files to one's local machine. As we plan do develop some modules in Rise for clients, we would need to send them the source files if they would like to modify the modules themselves at a later stage. 

I understand that there may be sharing of Rise files between accounts for collaborative work in the near future, is there a timeframe for rollout on this? 

Do you know if or how source files can be saved, or when this may be implemented?

115 Replies
James Washington

Has anything new or additional been developed regarding extracting source files from RISE? I have several products I developed using the tool and now my client would like to take over ownership and get me out of the picture. How can I transition the files to them? They don't want a package export like a zip file.

Martika Cox

Hi James,

Sorry you hit a roadblock here.

You’re correct, there isn’t a viable way to do that in Rise unless- as Jonathan mentioned- the person you’d like to be the new owner has a subscription to Articulate 360. Here’s more on how that works.

If you have additional questions please let me know - I’d be happy to help.

Lance Campbell

Problem:

Suppose I'm a Fortune 500 company who wants to standardize on Rise, and want to hire independent shops/devs to create courseware.  If I'm going to invest in that development cost, I need a way to keep all the source files for future use, in case we need a different shop to work on the files.  It isn't feasible with the current state of Rise, here's why:

The source files cannot be permanently saved, only "kept alive" by passing it from one account to another.  This is not a sufficiently stable architecture for large companies to invest in the platform, without promise of being able to keep what they paid to build.

Solution:

It would seem like a small step to create an archive file that could be given to any developer, who could then open it with a current valid Rise account. I don't see a downside for Articulate, and only an upside for larger companies to adopt.

What am I missing?

BTW: This is not a hypothetical, but is currently happening with our shop. Our longtime Fortune 50 client may actually bypass Rise for Elucidat, unless a solution for more permanent archiving source files develops soon.  And that would suck for all of us.

Karl Muller

A question that I've been asked several times by Senior Management is "what happens to our Rise course library if something catastrophic happens to Articulate from which they are unable to recover?"

All Rise users should be concerned about this issue.

Yes, we have exported all of our courses as PDF's and we also have SCORM packages as ZIP files of all of our courses but we need something closer to the source.

We also have our original documents from which the courses were created, but they often do not get updated when Rise course content is updated. 

As a minimum provide a new ZIP export type for a course that can be downloaded that has all of the text pulled out into one folder, media into another folder, etc. So in a worst case scenario we would at least have all the course assets if we need to rebuild in another tool. 

HR Tech Training

Agreed with the above two posts. Because of these glaring and seemingly insurmountable issues (it's been a couple years now!!), we absolutely cannot use Rise, though it was neat to play with, due to the above-mentioned issues. These are absolutely critical issues for any type of eLearning development in a corporate environment or in any strictly-regulated industry - of which I'm both.

It's too bad though, it was a fun development tool!

Justin Grenier

Thanks for sharing your concerns about trust and data security, Karl.  Our Trust Center explains our approach to security and data protection, and here are a few highlights:

• All Articulate services are hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) in the us-east-1 region located in northern Virginia in the United States.
  • AWS is an extremely reliable hosting provider with track records of 99.5-99.9% uptime in a rolling monthly window.
  • We make frequent automated backups of customer data and have implemented up-to-the-minute recovery options where feasible. We store backups in a redundant way and test our recovery frequently to reduce the likelihood of data loss and minimize downtime in a large-scale disaster.
  • We also host your data across multiple AWS server storage facilities. This means more than one data center could be offline simultaneously and you wouldn't lose access to Articulate 360 apps.
  • In the event of a disaster, we have processes in place to rebuild our entire data infrastructure and restore service as quickly as possible.

If you have other specific concerns about data security, we have a compliance team devoted to answering these kinds of questions.  Feel free to reach out!

Simeon Gavalas

For professional content development it appears that with your current model, Rise is not an option that can be used in most enterprise or even academic scenarios.

Apart from obvious legal or regulatory reasons that may require keeping source files offline, there is also the issue of the ability to edit something that you have “archived” at a later time.

Example: a client requests development of courses. Courses are created and delivered in the desired published format. In most scenarios the client requests-expects the source files to archive. The developer also keeps a backup for any future updates – changes (educational content is not a static thing...).

Then a year later the need arises to edit one of the courses. Unless there exists somehow the option to “upload” these source files to the editing environment in order to work with them, any “archiving option” is useless.

It seems that now, Rise “source files” are required to exist only within the active subscription.  Even assuming that the developer maintains an active subscription every year (regardless of actual demand for work) it is not realistic to expect the client to also keep an active subscription just for storing the “source files” for a project.

In reality, this has stopped us dead for proposing Rise as a development option in a lot of cases that it would otherwise really make sense.

Glen Murdock

It's really awkward to do anything with Rise after initially developing a course.

You can't store it internally so others can update it later, you can't transfer it fully and completely by email/CD/USB drive without having the receiver have a paid Articulate account, you can't work on it after someone else has left your company mid-stream unless they transfer ownership first (if it's an acrimonious dismissal that's not likely!) - none of these things are easy to do, and they're pretty standard situations in the business world.

Another limitation of Rise that I've found is when transferring ownership of a Rise course - you don't get ownership of the Review-published version of the course from the original developer, it's nontransferable. What that means is, you can't simply publish an update and have all your clients refresh their browser or click on the original email link again - you need to distribute a whole new hyperlink from your own Articulate account AND you lose all previous comments unless you also have the original developer's original hyperlink. I've been able to go in that way, thank goodness, and was able to see comments made after a developer had left our company. Generally, clients get confused when there are multiple emails and hyperlinks floating around, especially when the 'old' one still appears to work just fine. 

James Washington

Unfortunately SImeon you are completely on point regarding this. I definitely wish I had looked more into RISE before I proposed it to my enterprise level clients, but I did, and they loved it and now we have this problem. Justin provided an answer, it's just not the answer upper management wants to hear; they simply will not buy off on the current solution. Alternatively, I've had to re-develop courses using other applications while "mimicking" many of the interactions and look and feel they liked about RISE. So far, so good.

Cass Netzley
James Washington

I've had to re-develop courses using other applications while "mimicking" many of the interactions and look and feel they liked about RISE. So far, so good.

Hi James,

Would you mind sharing with the group what alternative applications you've been utilizing to mimic Rise interactions/blocks?

When we're not able to use RISE to develop a particular course (because of variables iterated quite well by Simeon and Glen above) our team has made use of WordPress and various add-ons, Elucidat (for more in-depth branching scenario buildouts), and Docebo's (LMS) content creator (which is probably the most similar to Rise I've seen yet, but proprietary/locked to their LMS).  

Thanks!

James Washington

Cass,

I don't think i did anything so great but...

First I scoured the Storyline content library to see if any of the interactive behaviors and/or layouts were replicated anywhere that I could build in Storyline where I can export raw files, when I didn't find what i needed there (you might) i searched this site to see if there was anything here for me to leverage.

In the end I wound up redesigning the aesthetics of the layout, which weren't exactly the same as my RISE version but definitely close enough, which included the flashcard and labeled graphic interactions. Most of the RISE behaviors can be built in SL or Captivate it just takes a lot longer which is why i like using RISE for certain courses.