Something went wrong: there was an error publishing your course - How to resolve

Sep 26, 2023

I made changes to my course and tried to publish to review but I keep getting

"Something went wrong: There was an error publishing your course. Please try again."

1. I've published this course for review previously, and its been fine.
  2. If I duplicate the course I still cant publish it to review. if I duplicate older courses I cant publish them to review.
  3. I cant Publish to LMS either. 
  4. Does this mean there is an issue with the course its self? if I delete all the lesson pages I can publish the course, is there a size limit I've reached? how can I check this?
    • I've used some jpegs with _NOPROCESS_ at the end but also a lot of .svg files. 
35 Replies
Tommi Ojala

My colleague just had this same problem. She found out that some of the new features (images as backgrounds and so on) were causing this on her new courses. She removed those, and it worked again.

All those were working yesterday just fine, so this might something that will get fixed soon back to normal.

I'm not sure if this limited to those newer features, or if there are more elements that are currently broken.

Neil Drury

This was taken from a historic post similar to our problem - maybe it's helpful for some of you?

"We have an issue with exporting courses that contain an asset with the % symbol in the file name. That could include an image, a PDF, or another piece of media. We're working on a fix, and I'll let you know when it's out!"

I won't be making any wholesale changes to my content at the minute.  I'm gonna ride this one out and trust the techies to come up with a fix...

Neil Drury

I successfully published 2 and failed on the third.

Issue is still not fully fixed............

************************************************************************************** ******************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please:
i) inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it; and
ii) do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its content (to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful).
Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email, collaboration and directory service available for all NHS staff in England. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch visit Joining NHSmail - NHSmail Support

Neil Drury

Thanks Lorraine 🙂!

************************************************************************************** ******************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please:
i) inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it; and
ii) do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its content (to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful).
Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email, collaboration and directory service available for all NHS staff in England. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch visit Joining NHSmail – NHSmail Support

p-didakt Produktion [1]

We were also unable to publish our course on Review. So we found the buggy element: We made a copy of the course for testing purposes, deleted one chapter at a time and tried to upload the course after each deleted chapter. When the error message finally disappeared the first time, we knew we had found the buggy chapter. In our case, it was the third one.

After that we did the same with all the elements of that chapter: delete one block - try to publish - error still there? Delete the next block - try to publish ... Until publishing is possible.

This way we found out that there was a block with an attachment, but the attachment was empty. After we deleted this empty block, publishing was possible.

We replaced this block in the original course and now everything works fine!

Lorraine McCrossan

I heard back from the Articulate Rise techie and he told me it was because my course had an empty attachment block. I learned something new today. I didn't know we couldn't have empty blocks if we want to publish for Review. I had it there as a placeholder to remind the client that I need that document from them. After I removed the empty attachment block, it published! So, I think a few of you should be hired as Articulate techies :-)