Storyline blocks in Rise...can you report on them using SCORM or XAPI?

Oct 31, 2022

I think this could be a quick discussion...if I use a Storyline block in Rise (for a test for example) will my LMS be able to pull a report from that block on right/wrong answer's using either SCORM/XAPI or Tin Can?

I think I know the answer but wondering if anything has changed or if there is a work around that anyone knows.

6 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out! 

Embedded Storyline 360 blocks in a Rise 360 course will not be able to connect to an LMS since these courses are published to Review 360 and not for LMS distribution. Being published to Review 360 means that these courses do not have the necessary files needed to connect to an LMS.

Hope this helps!

Stuart Johnston

Hi Sorry but this post has confused me.

We are using Rise to build SCORM files which are being imported to an LMS.  Due to limited functionality of 'knowledge check' in Rise - we are considering to use Storyline to build assessments and embed them into our Rise courses, which would eventually be exported as SCORM and imported into our LMS.

Is this post saying that Storyline assessments embedded into Rise will not work through an LMS?

Daniel Jackson

Hi Stuart

If your creating a knowledge check or test in Storyline and then importing it into Rise it will work as a knowledge check, however your LMS will not pull any data other than the test has been passed or failed...so if you wanted specific data (what questions were answered correctly and so on) you would have to use Storyline on its own or do the test through Rise. If that makes sense?

NOTICE: This email is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. You must not copy, distribute or take action in reliance upon it. Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard emails, the Savills Group cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced. The Savills Group reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its internal and external networks.

For information on how Savills processes your personal data, please see our privacy policy https://www.savills.co.uk/footer/privacy-policy.aspx

Savills plc. Registered in England No 2122174. Registered office: 33 Margaret Street, London, W1G 0JD.

Savills plc is a holding company, subsidiaries of which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

Savills (UK) Limited. A subsidiary of Savills plc. Registered in England No 2605138. Regulated by RICS. Registered office: 33 Margaret Street, London, W1G 0JD.

Savills Advisory Services Limited. A subsidiary of Savills plc. Registered in England No 06215875. Regulated by RICS. Registered office: 33 Margaret Street, London, W1G 0JD.

Savills Commercial Limited. A subsidiary of Savills plc. Registered in England No 2605125. Registered office: 33 Margaret Street, London, W1G 0JD.

Savills Channel Islands Limited. A subsidiary of Savills plc. Registered in Guernsey No. 29285. Registered office: Royal Terrace, Glategny Esplanade, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 2HN. Registered with the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. No. 86723.

Martel Maides Limited (trading as Savills). A subsidiary of Savills plc. Registered in Guernsey No. 18682. Registered office: Royal Terrace, Glategny Esplanade, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 2HN . Registered with the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. No. 57114.

We are registered with the Scottish Letting Agent Register, our registration number is LARN1902057.

Please note any advice contained or attached in this email is informal and given purely as guidance unless otherwise explicitly stated. Our views on price are not intended as a formal valuation and should not be relied upon as such. They are given in the course of our estate agency role. No liability is given to any third party and the figures suggested are in accordance with Professional Standards PS1 and PS2 of the RICS Valuation – Global Standards (incorporating the IVSC International Valuation Standards) effective from 31 January 2022 together, the ''Red Book'. Any advice attached is not a formal ("Red Book") valuation, and neither Savills nor the author can accept any responsibility to any third party who may seek to rely upon it, as a whole or any part as such. If formal advice is required this will be explicitly stated along with our understanding of limitations and purpose.

BEWARE OF CYBER-CRIME: Our banking details will not change during the course of a transaction. Should you receive a notification which advises a change in our bank account details, it may be fraudulent and you should notify Savills who will advise you accordingly.

ANNE Learning

Hi Stuart

According to this article using storyline blocks to track completion in Rise 360 will do 1 of 2 things:

If the user passes the storyline block quiz and close the browser, the course is marked as complete and the quiz completion and quiz score is reported to the LMS (Yay!). The score is important as many compliance driven organizations have an 80% pass-mark. This value needs to be present in LMS reports if an auditor arrives.

If the user fails the storyline block quiz and (being annoyed) close the browser, the user is STILL marked as complete(!) but no score is reported.

This is a HUGE issue for organizations focusing on compliance as you have to show the quiz score. However, with current functionality it is actually possible for a user to pass a Rise course while failing the Storyline block quiz - I kid you not!

If compliance is not important and you don't need a score reported to your LMS, just use the method described in step 1 of this article.

If compliance IS important use the simplest workaround all together: Don't use storyline blocks to track completion... (And Articulate, please add some kind of warning to your documentation).

Another (and much better) workaround (course file attached):

1. In your storyline quiz create a blank slide following the last quiz-question - it MUST be before the result slide. You can name it "Storyline has a bug" that's what I did.
  2. Add a "Failed" layer to the slide.
  3. Create a trigger that shows the "Failed layer" if your Results.ScorePercent is less than Results.PassPercent (built-in quiz variables)
  4. Create a trigger instructing Storyline to jump to the result-slide if Results.ScorePercent is greater than or equal to Results.PassPercent
  5. Publish your storyline course to Review 360 - Track the result slide ONLY
  6. Add the course to Rise as a storyline block using the storyline quiz block to track completion.
  7. Publish the Rise course using SCORM 2004 2nd edition or later 

do NOT add a Submit Results trigger before the results slide. This is what causes the course to marked as complete.

This method ONLY reports the course as complete if the user passes the quiz AND (more importantly) it ALSO reports the quiz score (this is huge for compliance organizations where showing that score is required).

The only downside is that the number of quiz attempts aren't caught using this method. This is currently not possible as that requires submitting the results - which completes the course.

I'm missing an explanation as to WHY this behavior is happening.

Tested in SCORM cloud and cornerstone - works.

I've attached my testing course for use.

Stuart Johnston

Hi Michael,

Firstly, thank you so much for your detailed reply and the time you took out of your busy schedule to pull it together - most helpful!

In our course, we have multiple knowledge checks littered throughout the course (one after every topic to assess knowledge).  Would you approach above work for multiple assessments within the one course?  Or only for one big assessment at the end?

Myself and my colleague are responsible in our organisation for building our courses, but we are not IT technicians and nor do we have any training whatsoever in building eLearning courses or HTML coding, or any kind of coding for that matter - very frustrating and confusing so I really appreciate your response and detailed step by step guide!