Unable to produce failure status in Absorb using SCORM exported from Rise (shows as "In Progress")

Apr 28, 2020

Hi everyone, 

I've been trying for weeks to get SCORM files exported from Rise into Absorb to give me a failure status for those who fail these quizzes. Those who pass are given "Complete" status, but those who fail show as "In Progress." Even worse, those who have failed are able to relaunch the module, which records their submissions over and over again in the results (even though my settings in Absorb are to allow failure with no more attempts). I've been working with my Absorb rep to test all of the variations of SCORM files exportable from Rise with no luck so far (she recommended I ask here). Has anyone else run into this situation? 

Thanks so much! 

-Christian 

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Christian! I think I have a better understanding of the issue. Even though the success status is failed, learners can still relaunch the course, as shown below.

Would it help to set the Rise 360 quiz to 0 retries? You can adjust that option in Quiz Settings. That way, even if the learners relaunch the course, they cannot take the quiz again. 

Content Training

Thanks again, Alyssa! The quiz is set to zero retries, but they are still able to hit "resume." They're not able to take the exam again, but every time they hit "resume," their results are reported again and I end up with several duplicate results for each question for each user when running reports. Additionally, their status shows as "In Progress" rather than "Failed."

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Christian. I would recommend that you test your SCORM output file in SCORM Cloud, and LMS testing tool. That's the tool I used in my screenshot above.

This will help you determine what behavior is controlled by your LMS, and what behavior is controlled by Rise 360.

If you see a "Failed" status in SCORM Cloud, then you'll know that something isn't communicating correctly in Absorb. 

If you'd like us to help you test that, you can send your SCORM output file to us by opening a case.

Content Training

Thanks, Alyssa! 

My Absorb rep finally figured it out! It looks like it was on the Absorb side all along. I'll add what she sent here so that other people who may be having the same issue can find it. 

When you import the SCORM package, on the Course Import: Edit Learning Object modal window, you must enter 1 in the field for Maximum Attempts under Lesson Contains Assessment:

And then also at the course level (so after you click the Submit button), you must go to the Completion tab and toggle the field ON for Allow Failure

When we tested, we were able to get this behavior for SCORM 2004 | Pass-Fail package.

Mark Petry

Christian,

I know this was a year ago, but we're having the same issue, except it looks like you are publishing in v2004. We're publishing using SCORM 1.2 with the same issue. I'll have my LMS admin check the setting you provided above, but do you remember if they said this was specific to 2004 or if it might work with v1.2 as well?

Thanks for posting by the way!