Undo option?

Mar 28, 2017

I don't know if I missed it, but if there isn't one already, Rise really needs an "undo" option. I just accidentally deleted text from a course I was reviewing and it took forever to find the original text to restore it. A simple undo option would have saved a lot of time. 

121 Replies
Cheryl Cline

I have deleted text that I can't recover and I am trying to open the last version of my Rise file where some of it may be saved. When I try to open the saved file, I get a message saying my computer is offline and the file won't load and open.  Is there something I need to do to open saved Rise files? I am working in Chrome.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Cheryl and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

You certainly need an internet connection to work with Rise as it is a web app used to create those responsive courses. You should be able to access them from https://rise.articulate.com/

• Did you verify your internet connectivity?
  • Do you have an issue in a different browser?

Just pop in and update when you get a chance.

Cheryl Cline

Hi Leslie,

Thank you for the response. Yes I do have internet connectivity and I am using one of the recommended browsers (Google Chrome). I still have had no success opening the file and wonder if other people have had the same problem. I have re-written the text that I deleted so accessing the file is no longer time-sensitive - however, I do look forward to a new "undo" feature that would function within blocks so that this extra work won't be necessary in future.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Jim DeRosa

I just lost a huge chunk of text in a rise text block. I highlighted a word and started to type over it when the editor removed EVERYTHING before it. I am on the chat now with support who indicate that they will let me know within 24 hours IF the devs can recover my lost work.

1. The way the cursor moves around inside a text block without your explicit permission is absolutely ridiculous. Just try inserting a new paragraph between two existing paragraphs in a text block. It will not let you do it. The cursor always moves down to the next paragraph if you stop typing for even a second. Unacceptable.

2. Undo. Ctrl-Z. Are you kidding that this doesn't work? It works in a text block in Wordpress. It works right here in this text box. It doesn't work in Rise. This needs fixed as priority #1.

I appreciate that support and the devs are busy and that they're trying to help, but 24 hour turnaround is ridiculous to know whether you have to redo 4 hours worth of work due to a crappy text editor.

And, yes, I know, I should have created a duplicate copy of my course before starting to edit. But that is such a hack. Imagine if Microsoft told you that "to be safe" you should make duplicate copies of your Word docs before you started typing in them. Not just save, but make a backup version of every document every time you work on it, just in case Word really screws up your document and undo just doesn't work.

I know I'm ranting because I'm frustrated. But this needs fixed as an absolute top priority. And until that's done, we should not have to wait so long to have the devs be our Ctrl-Z.

Beef Dinner

While I have not experienced this issue with Rise specifically, I have used something like this in the past to recover some lost data. 

http://benpiper.com/2011/11/how-to-recover-a-lost-form-in-internet-explorer-or-firefox-without-any-add-ons-or-pre-installed-utilities/

If this is an ongoing issue for you - there are browser extensions or third-party apps that can also help.

I use Lazarus extension in Chrome as an example. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jim,

Losing all of that text would make me frustrated too, so everything you shared here is valid. I'm sorry we've let you down. I checked in on your case with Karla and I know you talked to Crystal a bit ago, so I wanted to share an update here too. 

We have a known bug our QA team is looking into for the CTRL+Z not working as a "undo" function in Rise. The good news is we're working on a new text editor that should resolve that issue and give you some broader formatting options while editing text.

So, we're on the same page that it's a problem and we're working to fix it as soon as possible. I've asked our team for an updated ETA on the text enhancements - so I'll keep you posted on that!

Our team noted that clicking to highlight text can at times highlight a larger portion than intended and once you start typing that'll remove the highlighted text. This is something that'll also be resolved as a part of the text editor improvements. 

Crystal mentioned sharing some other ideas to help prevent this in the future, such as keeping a copy of the text in a Word/Notepad file, and she is going to follow up with you via email too.

We'll continue to keep you posted on this bug, and if there is anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Hi all,

We released some new features and fixes to Rise today:

• Updates to Rise Text Formating (including changing font colors) 
  • CTRL +Z now works as a keyboard shortcut to undo text changes
  • The issue with the wrong text being highlighted and deleted has been resolved.

You can access all the Articulate 360 and Rise tutorials from this page. 

Today's update to Articulate 360 included a few other important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.  

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Isay, 

I'm sorry to hear about your deleted lessons! I know that's frustrating. While we aren't able to restore lessons that were deleted,  I can certainly see how a "recycle bin" feature that holds deleted content would be really helpful. I'll submit that feature request for you, and I'll be sure to let you know if it gets added to Rise. 

In the meantime, you can restore deleted lessons using the Undo button that appears after deleting them.  Let me know if you have any questions. I'm here to help! 😀

Katie Riggio

Hi Scott,

I wanted to reach out about your post regarding custom font colors, and let you know that we just released another update for Rise – this update includes a feature you may find extra exciting: Personalize your Rise courses with custom fonts for headings and body text. Just upload your font files in the theme settings.

Please be sure to check out our community post here for additional information as well as a quick video guide.

Happy customizing, and please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Monika Borkowska

Hi everyone. I'm just beginning my adventure with Rise. I can see that this topic on "UNDO" has been explored for almost a year now. The UNDO option is visible for 10s only and frankly I believe it's no adjustment from 3s.
What are the chances that Rise could have similar options to Storyline where we have "undo arrows" that allow undo several recent actions? Thank you. 

Hi Monika, 

Thanks for reaching out here! We've heard a few similar stories from other users, and we have a feature request filed so that we can take a better look at this type of set up. Here's a bit more on how we handle features, but we'll let you know here as soon as we have any more information on it! 

Michael Hardin

So many times you delete something on accident or think you're deleting one thing and accidentally delete something else.  I deleted the wrong block and realized it after about 5 seconds... so it was too late to undo.  This causes so much rework and you can't always get the course exactly the way it was and it's a colossal waste of time.  There needs to be a "recycle" or "trash" bin.  Move the items people delete and then let them "empty" the bin when they are sure they don't need it any more.  

Hi Carol,

Rise updates in real time, so if you're deleting or changing text you won't see the Undo option appear. You'll see it when you delete a lesson or a block item. 

I hope that helps clarify, and we'll keep you posted here if a feature to increase the ability of the Undo function is released.