Videos to Automatically Play in Rise

Oct 12, 2018

Is there a way to have videos automatically start to play in Rise when the user reaches that section of the session?

135 Replies
Andrew Tomko

Good morning folks. Articulate team, please make this an option for us users asap. I for one love your platform and the professional products they create, but this is one feature that many of us are needing. With our busy workloads, doing a work-around to achieve this simple result is not a good direction. Clicking on "autoplay" is what we want and need. Leave it up to us to decide how to best have a user-experience with our unique audiences. Hope this gets released soon as there appears to be some energy on this topic again.

Rob Wilson

Not the best solution Diane, as most video content usually has some form of audio, as well as being longer than a few seconds.  I've used this solution myself for short, animated elements (see attached file), however have required this auto-replay feature for larger videos numerous times in Rise when adding instructional content.  I don't want users to have to press a 'Play' button, but seamlessly play once the content is reached.  This must be quite an easy fix for the Rise developers!!!  

Patrick Finnegan

I posted this as a reply to someone else, but I'd like to post it here as well. I understand the "why it is a non-feature" at the top of this thread. However, to be blunt, that's a non-answer and a fairly myopic viewpoint. We all don't do things the same way. Many of my clients end up monetizing their courses on cloud-based platforms and insist that a standard branded intro or a logo animation appears automatically when the course is launched. So there are cases when the ability to auto-start a video is not only desired, but required. I'd like to add my voice to the request to add this feature.

Amaly Gillig

Hi Margharita - my current workaround (thanks to someone much earlier on this thread) is to use GIFs. If you 1) have the ability to create them (I use SnagIt) and 2) don't need audio in your video, this can serve pretty well - within labeled graphics AND anywhere else you can include an image.

Example: https://rise.articulate.com/share/EchJQlmRKb4ffqdaIAvlbTEMoHhmpZS5 

Jane Brooks

I had the opposite problem - wanted a video (this was an embedded one) to NOT autoplay - and I was able to edit the embed code to not allow autoplay. I'm guessing if you can host your video in a place that gives you embed code, you could add that bit of HTML and it would play. YMMV depending on where the video is hosted. 

with autoplay on: 
<iframe src="https://webinars.sitecore.com/v.ihtml/player.html?source=share&amp;photo%5fid=79862605" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="1" allow="autoplay; fullscreen"></iframe>

with autoplay off: 
<iframe src="https://webinars.sitecore.com/v.ihtml/player.html?source=share&amp;photo%5fid=79862605" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="1" allow="fullscreen"></iframe>

This only controls whether the video autoplays when the lesson opens. I didn't go far enough to figure out how to have a video autoplay when the learner reaches a particular block, as this project was on a deadline with no time to experiment. 

Jane

Robert Freeman

Is this feature still being looked at by the A360 Dev team as a no-go within Rise? This ability, to have video auto-play within the training curriculum that's already launched, would make presentation and professionalism of the content much more engaging and efficient. having to click the video to make it play, especially if designers like myself use snipped video for engaging content, and not actual lesson content. If it doesn't auto-play, or it's blocked on mobile that's fine. It would be indicated as such to end-users. 99% of my learners use the lessons on laptop/desktop devices. I would be more than happy to be cognizant of any mobile limitations and build content accordingly to allow for lack of auto-play video. At minimum, allow the feature to be turned on/off for the videos. The browser argument as well is not understood, as learners are already within the intranet normally or whatever LMS platform their SCORM's are loaded into and internet usage or browser blocking is not an issue.

Alexandre Leblanc

It's honestly very frustrating. Not just this auto-play feature, there are so many topics in this forum that is like this.

I feel like I'm a baby surrounded with guard rails every time I use RISE. I shouldn't feel like I need to be protected from myself.

Give the choice to the designers. Show them that you trust their decisions!

Diane Western

Another vote to add the autoplay of a video feature.

(We use short Adobe video snippets, (no audio). The snippets demonstrate a technical feature in a course: Words or a photo cannot even come close to providing the visual detail and learning impact. 

Due to tight deadlines, we cannot stop and create animated gifs.  The ability to autoplay is paramount. (We do not force the users to click the play button in order to move forward, for several reasons that were decided by a team in the analysis phase.) 

The feature would be extremely helpful.  Thank you!

Cristina Graham

Another use case scenario is now that we can do mini-animations that require an mp4, it would be great to have the option to have those autoplay. It looks stupid otherwise to have a play button for a two second animation that is just there to give movement to the page.  Maybe this has already been implemented and I'm just not seeing it...Adding my voice to the chorus...

Andrew Tomko

Rise team - is this going to ever be an option for us users of your products? It appears the masses have spoken. Attached is a screen shot of Video Autoplay on my iPhone. Apple knows a thing or two about user experience and they allow the user to control that feature. Please do the same. If you're not, please let us all know as this threat has been going on for years. Thank you.