Why does articulate RISE/ST convert file names?

Anybody ever wondered why both RISE and Storyline convert asset file names in to massively long winded different file names. ie - import a picture with a file name of "house.png" and it gets converted to something like "jCALcdepUkDdmIKu_3AMwgu52julw_KFi.png"

Making life very difficult for us articulate! Thanks a bunch.

15 Replies
Cass Netzley

This becomes an even larger issue when working with web exports of Rise projects and uploading them to Adobe Experience Manager (AEM). Length of filenames (folder structure length implied) can be problematic and for our own team, PDF attachment auto-renames by Articulate have caused us issues resulting in failed uploads because of one PDF file name length. We are able to work around them, but it's still inconvenient.

Karl Muller

There was a solution rolled out for this.

It requires removing the old file and re-uploading exactly the same file. Then you need to re-export the course.

Note: if you download the file in author mode you will still see a strange filename, E.g. exercise_one.docx will be displayed something like jCALcdepUkDdmIKu-exercise-one.docx

The name will display correctly when a student downloads the file. E.g exercise-one.docx

Tom Oscar

This still appears to an issue for me in RISE. When looking at the zip file I end up with very long file names such as:

Fkzj6lkjdvFSJ4oI_transcoded-33KXCIspznP3zBxB-VIDEO_2_Where_to_go_for-Support_System34.mp4

I can see my file name at the end but is a very long file name. 

This is causing issues when unzipping on our remote server! 

Why can't RISE shorten file names in the zip! 

Lectora offers the option to "Convert page names to short ID-based names" when publishing. 

Tom Oscar

Good Afternoon Alyssa,

While the terms prefix might be from the transcoding tools its is still of
concern how long the file name has become.

This is still impacting the zip file.

Why can't Rise shorten file names to ensure this does not happen?

(Yes this could cause issues with the alt text)

Kris Nagy

For anyone else following, here is the response I received from Articulate on this issue:

"Thanks for contacting Articulate Support!

I understand that you are having compatibility issues with Rising 360 and Adobe Experience Manager. Let me help you with that!

I found similar cases here and confirmed that Rise 360 is not compatible yet with Adobe Experience Manager. The workaround that we recommend for now is to:

1. Upload and host your Rise 360 course outside of AEM.
2. Pull it in via an iFrame or other embed method.

I also submitted a feature request to support embedding directly into AEM in the future. You should see another email to that effect shortly."

I'm not sure either of those options are going to work for us, so we may develop a script of our own to scrub and replace characters in filenames. Of course that will be time-consuming to develop, but once we have it in place we could use it for any future courses as well.

 

 

Kris Nagy

***@ E-Learning Heroes: Please remove if not allowed***

Update: I found a script that goes through the Rise files and scrubs any characters that don't mesh with the AEM filenaming conventions.

We've tested it by running the script on the Rise files, zipping them, uploading the .zip file to AEM, extracting them, and the Rise course does then work as expected.

If anyone would like to make sure of the script, it's located here:

https://github.com/raindog151/unarticulate-AEM

The developer asks for a donation since this was created independently.

***Disclaimer: This hasn't been run past Articulate, and I have no technical expertise to troubleshoot anything on the script. Just wanted to share in case it's helpful for others.***