XLIF translation did not import in Articulate Rise

Nov 21, 2018

We followed the instruction on how to import translations found in "https://community.articulate.com/articles/rise-translate-your-course".
Steps we followed is as follows:

a) Duplicate the course in Rise;

b) Go to Settings in Rise > Export XLIF File;

c)  Open the Exported XLIF file in Notepad++ (Text Editor);

d) Open provided translated XLIF file in Notepad++ and copy all content to the exported English XLIF version.

e) Then we go back to the Settings in Rise and import the translations back.

However "Import failed: Translation file doesn't match this course." appears after importing.

Below is a sample clip of xlif translations provided.

<xliff xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2 http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/os/xliff-core-1.2-strict.xsd" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" version="1.2">
<file original="course" datatype="plaintext" source-language="en-US" target-language="es-us">
<body>
<trans-unit id="title">
<source>English text</source><target>Texto en inglés</target>
</trans-unit>
<trans-unit id="description">
<source>
<g id="zzu2BdVk7k5pDG92" ctype="x-html-p">This quick course will introduce you to the topic number one.</g>
</source><target>
<g id="zzu2BdVk7k5pDG92" ctype="x-html-p">Este curso rápido le presentará el tema número uno.</g>
</target>
</trans-unit>
</body>
</file>

</xliff>

Please advise on the correct way of importing translations back to Rise? Are there demo videos available to follow that you can provide? Or did we missed anything?

34 Replies
Kevin Mc

Hi,

Not sure if people got this resolved but here is some information that may be helpful.

It is very important that the XLIFF is imported back into the exact same version of the course it was exported from. When a course is copied the ID's in the XML are changed therefore if you export form the original version and then try to import into the copied version you will encounter and error.

Also any change to ID's or format will break the file.

Hope this helps.

ABI UNIVERSITY

Hi,

after following below mentioned steps:

a) Duplicate the course in Rise;

b) Go to Settings in Rise > Export XLIFF File;

c)  Open the Exported XLIFF file in Notepad++ (Text Editor);

d) Translated the content of XLIFF file, using python code. 

e) import XLIFF file to the course.

It shows import successful, but still the translations are not reflected in the course.

what may be the reason?

Patty Zerneke

Hi 

Thank you for supporting our needs. We did get one answer back but the solution involved using a translation portal that did the translation for us. We are looking for a means to have a clean output that we can send to our translation team (much like the Storyline 3 output for translation).  

Is there anything like that available?

Patty Zerneke

Hi, Our issue was resolved by our translation team. We provided them the xliff file, which at first they did not know how to use it, but they brought in other members of the team who were proficient in using xliff files. Once those team members translated the xliff file correctly, we were able to import it back into our courses with no issues.

Venkatesh Jaganathan

Hi, as mentioned Claudine Caro, we are also facing the same issue - after importing the translated xliff file (in French), the RISE360 course remains in English. We did not face any challenges while importing the XLIFF file.

I submitted a ticket regarding this issue - Case Number: 02767199

Thanks,

Craig Jansen

Hi,

Same issue here. The import fails even though it is exported and imported from and to the same course. Depending on the translation tool used, it can work. But I'm forced to use a free translation tool with limited options we haven't subscribed for to make it work.
Interested in any other solution that might be found.
Thanks 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Patrick! 

Did you duplicate the course, export the XLIFF from the duplicate, then import the translated XLIFF back into the duplicate? 

You'll want to be sure you export the XLIFF and import the translated version back into the same course. You can read more about the steps for translating a course here. 

Aaron Max Abramowicz

Hi Alyssa,
Are you saying you need to import into the version that the export came from, rather than importing to a duplicate?

example: If I am translating the into multiple languages, I need to:

1. Export the xlf in source language,
  2. Duplicate the source language course
  3. Import the new language to the original course
  4. Copy now translated original course and then change label language on translated copy of it
  5. repeat steps 3&4 for each language.

If so, this seems to be a rather clumsy process, though it is less so than exporting from each duplicate and submitting different files for each language that the instructions linked above seem to indicate as the actual process (since translation team typically take one file and translate it into multiple languages, the 1:1 instructions don't work well in my opinion).

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Aaron! Because the xlf file can only be imported into the course it was exported from, you'll need to duplicate the original course first. So, the steps would be in this order:

1. Duplicate the source language course.
  2. Export the xlf from the duplicate course.
  3. Translate the xlf.
  4. Import the translated xlf into the duplicate course.
  5. Translate the labels in the duplicate course. 
  6. Repeat steps 1-5 for each language. 

Let me know if that helps to clarify! 

Amanda Cropper

So the problem I've run into is that after language testing and QA, our translators have sent an updated xlf, rather than having me enter changes manually. When I try to import the updated XLIFF file into the same course it originally came from, I get an error that says "import failed." That's it. The XLIFF is not corrupted, either. 

If there is no way to overwrite the existing text from an updated XLIFF, then that means manually entering edits and putting it back through testing and QA again. This is not very efficient.

Please advise.

Ulatus Business

Hello, I believe that I have done something that has caused errors in the XLIFF imports that I will need some help to understand.

I think it might be because I have made some minor changes in the titles (adding WIP) to the course titles that have caused the ID of the strings to change, hence it comes up as an error and the import fails. Alternatively, it is that when I make a copy of the course to import the new language it's IDs change?

However, when I have downloaded the .xliff again, with new IDs and just copy/paste the translation into the new XLIFF, it imports just fine, so that is why I think this small change is the issue.

Have you encountered this issue before? Do you know of any way to merge/change/update the ID of the strings so that it will translate more easily? Or once the .xliff is exported, I shouldn't be making any changes to the course because that is changing/creating new IDs in my course which are not there in the formerly exported .xliff file?

Please advise.