Use freeform hotspot questions to build interactive assessments with one or more hotspots. Unlike form-based hotspot questions, which are always graded, freeform questions can be graded or ungraded interactions.
- Insert a Freeform Hotspot Question
- Add an Image
- Define the Hotspots
- Choose the Submission Method
- Customize the Question Properties
There are two ways to create a hotspot question. If you've already added objects to an existing slide, you can convert it to a freeform question. If you'd prefer to start from scratch, do this:
- First, do any of the following:
- Go to the Home tab on the ribbon, click New Slide, and choose Freeform Question.
- Go to the Slides tab on the ribbon and click Freeform Question.
- In Story View, right-click anywhere in the workspace, scroll to New Slide, and choose Freeform Question.
- In Slide View or Form View, right-click anywhere in the Scenes panel, scroll to New Slide, and choose Freeform Question.
- When the Insert Slide window appears, use the search field at the top and the filters along the left edge to locate the type of question you want to add. The slide browser includes built-in templates as well as professionally-designed Content Library 360 templates.
- When you click a thumbnail image for a slide, the right side of the window shows a description of that question type. Click Insert Slide to add it to your project.
- A new hotspot question will open in Form View where you can add an image and define your hotspots.
To add an image for the background of your hotspot question in Form View, click Choose Image, browse to the picture you want to use, and click Open.
The image will appear in the interactive preview area above the Choose Image button (and also in the preview thumbnail on the right side of the screen).
If you change your mind about the picture you selected, click Choose Image again to browse for a different picture.
Tip: You can also swap out the background image in Slide View. Just right-click the image on the slide and select Change Picture.
Next, define one or more hotspots on the slide. Here's how to add, move, resize, and delete hotspots in Form View:
Click Add Hotspot and choose one of the shapes. Draw the hotspot on the interactive preview area above the Add Hotspot button.
Drag the hotspot with your mouse to reposition it in the interactive preview area.
Drag any of the hotspot’s sizing handles.
Click the X below the interactive preview area or press the Delete key on your keyboard.
If your hotspot question will be graded, mark the radio button for the right answer in the Correct column.
If your question doesn't have correct and incorrect responses, go to the Question tab on the ribbon and select None from the Score drop-down to make it ungraded. (The Correct column will disappear.)
In Form View, go to the Question tab on the ribbon and use the Submit drop-down to choose how your hotspot question will be submitted for evaluation.
- By Player Button
- On Click
- On Double-Click
- On Right-Click
Tip: The default option, By Player Button, means learners must click the built-in Submit button on your course player.
After creating a freeform hotspot question, you can customize several of its attributes, including feedback, branching, score, number of attempts, and whether learners are required to answer it or allowed to skip it. To learn how, see Working with the Question Editor.
Can I Convert a Freeform Question into a Non-Question Slide?
Yes. It's easy. Just go to the Insert tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Remove Freeform.
When you remove freeform functionality from a question, it becomes a standard content slide. Text, images, hotspots, and other objects remain intact. Only question-related properties, such as score and feedback, are removed.