When you make changes to your course player (the frame around your slides), those changes get saved in the current project file. If you want to reuse your custom player in other projects or share it with other authors, save it to your local hard drive first. Here's how.
- Opening the Player Properties Window
- Saving Custom Players
- Switching Players
- Sharing Players (Exporting Players)
- Using Players That Have Been Shared with You (Importing Players)
- Deleting Players
- Undoing Changes Made to a Saved Player
To open the Player Properties window, go to the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon and click Player.
To save a custom player, click Current Player on the ribbon and choose one of these options.
This saves your player with its current name. If the player hasn’t been saved before, Storyline will ask you to give it a name.
This saves a copy of your player with a new name, which Storyline will prompt you to enter. This is a good option if you want to make variations of the same player.
When you’re finished, click OK to close the Player Properties window. If you click the X in the upper right corner of the window, your changes will be canceled. In other words, the X in the upper right corner performs the same function as the Cancel button.
When you save a custom player, it gets stored as an *.xml file on your local hard drive. It also gets added to the list of available players you can apply to any Storyline 360 course. Custom players are stored here on your computer:
To switch the current project to a different player, click Current Player on the ribbon, scroll to Open, and choose a player.
The default Storyline player will always appear at the top of the list. Your custom players will appear below it.
If you want to share a custom player with a colleague or transfer it to a different computer, export a copy of its *.xml file. Here's how:
- Click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Export.
- Give your player a name and browse to a save location on your computer.
- Click Save.
Now you can give the file to a colleague or use it on another computer. For instructions on how to import the file, see the following section.
If someone gives you a custom player *.xml file, here’s how to import it into Storyline:
- Click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Import.
- Browse to the *.xml file for the custom player and click Open.
The imported player will be applied to the current project. To use the same custom player in other courses, save it to the AppData directory on your computer.
If you no longer need a custom player you previously saved, you can delete it.
- Click Current Player on the ribbon, scroll to Open, and choose the player you want to delete. (This step temporarily applies the player to the current course.)
- Click Current Player again and choose Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm your deletion request.
This deletes the current player and reverts your course back to the default Storyline player.
If the player you deleted has already been applied to an existing course, that course will continue to use the deleted player; it just won't be available for new projects.
Let's say you save a custom player then make additional modifications to it, but you haven't yet saved the latest changes. If you want to revert back the previously saved version of the player, click Current Player on the ribbon and choose Reset.