E-Learning Listicles: Top 10 E-Learning and Instructional Design Tips

E-Learning & Instructional Design Tips #324: Challenge | Recap

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share an interactive listicle of 10 things course designers should know about e-learning or instructional design.

What is a listicle? 

A listicle is an article that's written in a list format. The list items are usually expanded into one or more paragraphs making it more like an article.

What format should I use for my list?

Your entry can be a static list, blog post, explainer videos, an interactive graphic, infographic, or anything else you'd like to create.

We hosted a similar challenge four years ago, and the examples were terrific. Here are a few highlights to help you get started.

Interactive Slider Listicles

I like the way Tania Vercoelen converted her top 10 list into a slider interaction. Sliders are a great way to chunk content and focus learners' attention on a single idea or concept.

Interactive Slider Listicles

View the e-learning list

Click-and-Reveal Listicles

Here’s another idea for presenting your top 10 list. Using simple click-and-reveal interactions, Anastasia Laur takes learners on a linear journey by stepping through each tip or idea.

Click-and-Reveal Listicles

View the e-learning list

Rise 360 for Listicles

I can’t think of a better way to present a list than with Rise 360. Just about every block type would work well for presenting a series of lists. Check out the way Rachael Vergara approached her e-learning tips in this example.

Rise 360 for Listicles

Views the e-learning list

Lo-Fi Listicles

Are you pressed for time this week? Share your top 10 list in the comments, and I’ll recap them as a screenshot. Here’s how Tricia Ransom shared her tips in the original challenge.

Lo-Fi Listicles

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example.
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you create your e-learning listicle, check out the interactive coloring book examples your fellow challengers shared over the past week.

Interactive Coloring Book Activities in E-Learning #323

Interactive Coloring Books in E-Learning #323: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

130 Comments
Jeniffer Brubaker
Jackie Van Nice
Amy Palian

Hi Jackie, thanks so much for your genuine feedback. It's as if you were reading my mind. When I was designing this sample, I was debating whether I should give full control to the user or make it more restrictive so that the user can click on the tips one at a time. Your feedback helped me realize that my intuition of giving full control to the user was right. However, the teacher in me keeps coming out and saying no, this is a series of steps and the user should be visiting them in order. :) But I agree with you 100%. It would be more fun to give the user the option of moving around the content any way they want. It makes it more fun. I think I will create a version with a free exploration option and add both to my portfolio as a way of displaying different options. Again, thank you so m... Expand

Jackie Van Nice

You’re so welcome, Amy! I have the same debates in my head about nearly EVERY screen element and interaction - that’s probably why it stays so engrossing and fun! To my complete incomprehension, what I’ve found over and over and over and over and over again is that in real life (not challenge examples), after I’ve created a deliciously inviting interaction where learners can clearly explore at will, they invariably start with what they think the first item should be (this would definitely apply if they were numbered) and work their way through in what they perceive to be the most orderly fashion. So that would be my surmise if you numbered the chrysalises and unlocked it - that most would carefully go through in order anyway. I think the big plus to unlocking is the perception and t... Expand