Static to Interactive: Transform Infographics into Interactive Graphics #236

Interactive Infographics in E-Learning #236: Challenge | Recap

If you’re looking for a way to exercise your course-building skills, you might have heard us talk about the value of deconstructing and rebuilding finished e-learning projects. 

Another way to practice your skills is by rebuilding static infographics as interactive graphics. Infographics and e-learning have a lot in common. Both are great sources of data and visuals that you can use to build your interaction.

Design considerations

Here are some things to consider before you rebuild your infographic as an interactive graphic:

• Many infographics are taller than typical e-learning projects. What are some ways you can adapt taller infographics into shorter, wider interactive graphics?
  • Is there a way you can enable learners to sort or rearrange the content? Common sorting methods: Alphabetically, numerically, category, date and time, and random.
  • Which information can be turned on and off?
  • Where can you zoom in and out of information?
  • How can markers, tooltips, and callouts help reduce clutter and enable learners to pull information?
  • How can you hide and reveal some of the information to emphasize different types of information?
  • Could the infographic be used as a course menu?

This week's challenge

This week your challenge will be to take a static infographic and rebuild it as an interactive infographic.

For reference, include a link or screenshot of the original infographic when you post your examples. That will help us see what you started with before making it interactive.

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example..
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Twitter: If you share your demos on Twitter, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you transform your static into interactive, check out the paper cutout examples your fellow challengers shared over the past week:

Hand-Crafted Image Effects in E-Learning

Hand-Crafted Image Effects in E-Learning #235: Challenge | Recap

Wishing you a transformative week, E-Learning Heroes!

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

124 Comments
Jonathan Hill
Tracy Carroll
Nicki Berry
Jodi M. Sansone
Jodi M. Sansone
Debbi Spranza, CPLP
Amber Price
Victoria Blacik
Jeffrey Riley
DB McPeek
Valerie Butler
Marissa Sawyer
Elizabeth Bauer
Lori Carlson
Stephanie Powner
Stephanie Powner

Hi Julie Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate your encouragement. Here's what i did First I produced the background image for the pop-ups in Canva (the 6 blue rectangles that get progressively darker). The image is the same width as the story size, but much longer (as each blue rectangle is only slightly smaller than the slide length). This is what you see moving upwards when you 'drop' the diver. I had a separate layer per zone, each with a copy of this image all initially positioned with the top rectangle over the slide. I added a motion path upwards on the image on each layer, triggered when the layer opens and changed the end point of the motion path on each layer so that the image stops with the correct 'zone' over the slide area. The diver then exits on a mot... Expand