Using Pre-Test Assessments in E-Learning #382

Using Pre-Test Quizzes in E-Learning #382: Challenge | Recap

As course designers, we should always look for ways to design better and more meaningful learning experiences. Unfortunately, using a one-size-fits-all approach in e-learning rarely meets the individual needs of the learners.

Even in compliance and regulatory courses, there's an opportunity to sprinkle in personalized content and resources that address the individual needs of learners. That's where pre-tests can help. 

Using Pre-Test Activities

Using pre-test activities at the beginning of the course or module, you can personalize the learning by:

• Identifying areas where learners need more (or less) support
  • Giving learners customized recommendations
  • Letting learners skip ahead to only those topics where they need the most help

Pre-tests are like dress rehearsals for a play. They're designed to help the cast and crew figure out what works and what doesn't before the show actually happens. For course designers, figuring out what learners know and don't know can help improve the learning experience. And that's what this week's challenge is all about.

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share a pre-test example to show how they can be used to personalize the learning experience.

Resources

Examples

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example..
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you consider testing out of this week's challenge, check out the refreshing beverage-making examples your fellow challengers shared over the past week:

Mixology and Beverage-Making Classes with E-Learning #381

Beverage-Making Techniques #381: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article.

Quick Note About the Recap Posts on LinkedIn

I like to promote the recaps with your examples on LinkedIn. I use the #elhchallenge and #elearningchallenge tags to help others in the community find your examples. And most of the time, I tag you individually in the post. I find it helps boost the posts across your networks.

I've recently heard from some folks who felt excluded because I didn't tag them in my LinkedIn recap posts. When that happens, it's because we're not connected or I couldn't find your profile.

When that happens, let me know. I'm more than happy to update the post to credit your work. I know these demos take a few hours to make. That's a significant investment, so I like you to get as much mileage as possible from your work.

64 Comments
Jonathan Hill
Yvonne Urra-Bazain
Tracy Carroll
Jodi M. Sansone
Jodi M. Sansone
Yvonne Urra-Bazain
Yvonne Urra-Bazain
Jonathan Hill
Jonathan Hill
Teo Karageorgakis
Julie Baker
Phezulu Dhlodhlo

In this week's challenge, I am submitting part of a Financial Services regulatory course. Its purpose is to prepare Financial Services Representatives for their final examination. The final examination consists of 50 multiple choice questions that are answered within a period of 2 hours. I have integrated a timer on the multiple choice questions in order to improve time management. I first came across this timer on one e-learning website and it fascinated me. I did quite a lot of research and consultation around it in order to implement it. Anyway, here is the link to the course. https://360.articulate.com/review/content/78230b95-6527-4ff8-b652-4349320cf03d/review I submitted my source file using the Articulate support because I could not get to connect any other file sharing websit... Expand

kelly radcliffe
Tracy Carroll