Using Subtle Background Patterns & Textures in E-Learning #402

Using Patterns and Textures in E-Learning #402: Challenge | Recap

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to show how textures or patterns can be used to create visual interest and depth in e-learning slide designs. Your example can be static or interactive but try to include two examples to show a before-after comparison.

Using Subtle Background Patterns & Textures in E-Learning #402

Why add textures or patterns to slide backgrounds?

Since backgrounds are usually the largest slide element, they're an obvious choice for adding visual interest or personality to your slide designs. Common reasons for using textures and patterns in slide design include:

• Context and mood: Textures can be used to set a scene or create a mood for your design. Popular textures for establishing a context or mood are bricks, wood, paper, and fabrics.
  • Depth: A texture or subtle pattern can add depth to flat, solid-colored slides, making them feel more realistic and tactile.
  • Movement and pacing: Patterns can help create a dynamic feel or sense of movement in a slide design. Popular patterns include geometric shapes, stripes, and polka dots.

Are there any related challenges and examples I can use for inspiration?

Here are three challenges that come to mind. If I forgot any, please let me know so that I can add them.

Is there anything else I should know about using background textures and patterns?

Make sure your patterns and textures support your course's overall look and feel. Since you'll likely add text over the slide backgrounds, your textures and patterns shouldn't compete with instructional elements like text, graphics, and buttons.

Quick Tips for Using Textures & Patterns

Resources

Here are a few places where you can download free textures and patterns. If you have a favorite resource, add it in the comments below, and I'll update the list.

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to link your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start a thread and share a link to your published example.
  • Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We'll link back to your posts so your great work gets even more exposure.
  • Social Media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week's Challenge:

To help you navigate this week's challenge, check out the creative tabs interactions your fellow challengers shared over the past week: 

30+ Examples of Tabs Interactions in E-Learning #401

Tabs Interactions in E-Learning RECAP #401: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article.

Next Week’s Challenge

We’re trying to better align some of our weekly webinar training with the weekly challenges. Of course, it won’t always be possible, but the challenges are an excellent fit for our how-to training sessions.

It’s been a while since I’ve done the accordion Webinar, so your latest accordion examples will help the session feel fresh and current.

163 Comments
Jodi M. Sansone
Jodi M. Sansone
Ron Katz
Daniel Canaveral
Alison Sollars
Live  Learning & Media LLC
Grace Hackett
Thierry EMMANUEL
Najam  Fazal
TJ Akisanya
Lisa Listama