After creating a question bank and populating it with question slides, you can draw one or more slides from the bank to create dynamic quizzes in your Storyline 3 course. You can even randomize question draws to keep quizzes from being predictable.
Multiple question draws can be pulled from the same question bank, which means you can reuse the same questions in more than one quiz. For example, you might add a question draw to the middle of your course as an ungraded knowledge check, then add another question draw to the end of your course as a graded assessment.
Select the scene in your course where you want to add a question draw (or create a new scene), then do this:
- Go to the Slides tab on the ribbon, click Question Banks, and choose New Draw from Question Bank.
- If you have more than one question bank in your project, use the Question Bank drop-down to select the one you want. (If you need to edit the question bank, click the Edit question bank link beside the drop-down.)
- To display questions in a random order, mark the box to Draw questions randomly.
- Use the Include drop-down to choose how many questions you want to draw from the bank. (This option will be grayed-out if you didn't randomize your questions in the previous step.)
- Use the Include in Shuffle column in the question grid to decide whether each question will be Randomly displayed (which is the default option), Never displayed, or Always displayed in this particular question draw.
- Locking slides affects how they're randomized and drawn into your course. For example, you might lock a slide to the top of your question draw so it'll always appear first in your quiz, regardless of how the other slides are randomized.
To lock a slide, click Lock Question at the bottom of the window and choose one of the locking options. You can lock a slide to the question immediately above/below it or to the top/bottom of the question draw. If you change your mind, you can remove the lock in the same manner.
- To reorder slides for your question draw, simply drag them to a new location in the grid, or click Move Question at the bottom of the window and select Up/Down.
- When you've finished making your selections, click Insert to complete the question draw. The placeholder slide for question draws looks like this in Slide View.
The placeholder thumbnail for question draws looks like this in Story View.
If you need to change the parameters for an existing question draw, such as randomization or how many questions are included, switch to Slide View and click the top half of the placeholder slide where it says Click to view the slide draw. (If you’re in Story View, just double-click the placeholder thumbnail.)
If you need to edit the question bank from which the questions will be drawn, click the bottom half of the placeholder slide where it says Click to view the question bank. (Learn more about editing question banks.)