Rise changing color of MP4 videos

May 25, 2021

Hi, 

I'm having an issue with the mp4's hold screen. Once uploaded, Rise turns the first screen of a video a darker shade. Is there anyway to disable that? 

Once played, the video plays in a different color (to be honest, I think that Rise is also modifying the colors slightly through the compression process but that's not as big of a deal for this instance). 

Cheers, 

Kim

6 Replies
Levon Trettin
Jose Tansengco

Hi Levon,

Happy to help!

It appears you shared links to forums for different issues in Rise 360. I'd like to ask a few questions to narrow down your experience: 

• Are you seeing the shades of your videos change when uploaded to Rise 360?
  • Are your videos pixelated or discolored, or is it just the thumbnail shown before the video is played?
  • Is the behavior happening to all of your videos?
  • Have you tried using Replay 360 to insert a high-resolution image at the beginning of your video to serve as the thumbnail?

Feel free to share a copy of your videos here or in private by opening a case with our support team so we can test it and see what's happening. 

Brian O'Driscoll

I've noticed this too - since about a year or so ago. I used to have a little title element in my thumbnail that was the same colour as the screen background (white) and it gave the pleasing effect that the title element was connected to the background. Since the "change", however, my white title effect has turned cream and it looks terrible, necessitating the need to change the colour to something totally different to avoid the colour clash.

And my thumbnail, as Jose asks above, is indeed always created in Replay as part of the processed video. Basically, my behaviour hasn't changed in creating these videos - so my assumption is that something in Rise has.

Levon Trettin

Hi Jose, 

It appears you shared links to forums for different issues in Rise 360. I'd like to ask a few questions to narrow down your experience: 

-> For me its all the Same Bucket: The lack of uploading a Thumbnail.
This would solve all the topics I collected above.

Are you seeing the shades of your videos change when uploaded to Rise 360?

-> Yes

Are your videos pixelated or discolored, or is it just the thumbnail shown before the video is played?

-> It's just the Thumbnail - But the Video is also slightly compressed in the Quality. But not as much as a "normal Learner" would notice it. So the Video itself is not the Problem - Just the Thumbnail.

Is the behavior happening to all of your videos?

-> Yes - And I thought that this is normal. But than I saw the OG Rise Thumbnails ... That's a huge different in quality.

Have you tried using Replay 360 to insert a high-resolution image at the beginning of your video to serve as the thumbnail?

-> Yes - This was the workaround solution, the community gave me 2 years ago. I am using Premiere Pro, to create, cut an colorgrade my videos and to insert the first Frame as the Thumbnail. It's the automatically created Thumbnail that is appearing like a bad GIF.

Always, when I give the project to my customer, they complain about the bad Thumbnail. I Always say that this lays not in my hand. Its Articulate Rise. Until now it was always a problem that was tolerated. But lastly I lost 2 Clients because they were shocked how ugly their face looked like on the Thumbnail.
They thought I would Scam them and said, that I would blame the program Articulate Rise, rather than my embarrassing Design skills.

You See - In my Opinion its not my fault and not the lack of Design skills. Its the depressing fact, that Articulate deprioritize the Thumbnail for almost 6 Years now. Not just for me - Obviously for a big part of your community, that wants to build high quality products with RISE ...

Phil Foss

Levon is an E-Learning Hero for putting together 6 years of receipts on this issue. The quickest hack solution is to save out a new thumbnail in your exported SCORM files, I show you how to do this using Adobe XD. The name of the thumbnail (or poster frame) is the same name as the video file, which is nice. Then I rabbit-holed the issue of the changing colors. It is the weirdest thing involving color modes of jpgs and gifs I've seen in about 6 years.