If you’ve ever used the scenario block in Rise 360, you know how quick and easy it is to build an engaging interaction fast. But did you know there’s more than one way to create a scenario in Rise 360? With so many block options, it’s simple to customize your course design to fit your learners’ needs. Using the same scenario script, I created 5 versions of the same scenario using different lesson and block types. Let’s look at each of them and talk about when it makes sense to choose one option over the other.   

1. Scenario Block

Like I mentioned earlier, the Scenario Block in Rise 360 makes it super fast and easy to make your course more interactive. This is the most commonly used block for branching scenarios because everything is already built for you. You can quickly customize the block with Content Library 360 images and characters and then add your own dialogue, responses, and feedback.

Use case: 

It’s best to use this block when you want to build a scenario fast! 

2. Button Stack Block

For this example, and examples 3 and 4, I inserted the same Image & Text Block to introduce the customer and the scenario, but chose different blocks to display answer options. In this case, I used the Button Stack Block.   

Button stacks can be used to send emails, access external information easily, or jump to other spots in a course. In this example, I used the button stack as answer options for the scenario. The learner selects a response and is directed to another lesson based on their answer. 

Use case:

This block is useful if your custom feedback includes a lot of text or if you want to provide more contextual information based on a learner’s response—like a lesson with additional images, text, and block types that goes into more depth about that topic.  

3. Flashcard Grid Block

The Flashcard Grid Block is another option for your story-based interactions. With just one click you can define terms, reveal text, and much more. For this scenario example, I used the cards to display both answer options. The learner can click either option and get specific feedback based on their selection. So if a learner chooses the correct answer but wants to explore why the other answer is incorrect, they can! 

Use case:

When you want to give the learner the option to easily view the consequences of more than one action, whether correct or incorrect—for example, if there are multiple correct answers but one of them is better than the other. 

4. Knowledge Check Block

Since knowledge checks are ungraded and don’t report a score, they’re a good way to provide a safe space for learners to reflect and practice applying what they’re learning in a low-pressure environment. And the great thing about knowledge checks is that you can build them right within a lesson! That’s exactly what I did in this example.  

Use case: 

Use this block when you want to quickly test learners’ knowledge within a lesson and the feedback only includes text.  

5. Quiz Lesson

Sometimes you need to do more than just check in with learners—for example, evaluate how much they’ve learned. That’s where quiz lessons come in! Quizzes are scored and report that information to your Learning Management System (LMS). For this example, I used a multiple choice question.   

Use case: 

If you need to track learners’ scores in your LMS, this is the option you’ll want to choose.

Wrap-Up

These are just a few creative ways to build scenarios in Rise 360 and when you might want to use them in your projects. Of course, you’re not limited to just these options. With so many lesson and block types, the possibilities are limitless. What creative ways have you used to present scenarios in your Rise 360 courses? Please share them in the comments below! 

If you liked the scenario examples above, you can see them in action here

Want to learn how to create realistic scenarios learners can relate to? Check out these helpful articles:

Want to start creating your own scenarios in Rise 360, but don’t have Articulate 360? Start a free 30-day trial, and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything related to e-learning. If you have any questions, please share them in the comments.

16 Comments
Sarah Hodge
Sarah Hodge