Using True/False Variables in E-Learning #421

True/False Variables in E-Learning #421: Challenge | Recap

True/false variables are one of the simplest types of variables, making them a great starting point for course designers new to working with variables.

Unlike text variables, which can require open-ended fields for evaluation, or number variables that require advanced operations such as addition or multiplication, true/false variables only hold two possible values of data: true or false.

True/false variables are super versatile and one of the most popular variables in e-learning. 

A few common ways to use true/false variables include:

• Quizzes: Did the learner answer the question correctly? If true, show Layer A; if false, show Layer B.
  • Branching scenarios: Depending on the learner’s choices, you can branch them to one of two different paths or scenes. 
  • Progress tracking: Did the learner complete a lesson or scene? If completed, show a checkmark icon in the menu.

Here are a few examples users shared in previous challenges:

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share an example that demonstrates how true/false variables can be used in e-learning.

Variables can be tricky if you’re new to e-learning. If there's a concept or idea you're attempting but get stuck or have questions, hit us up in the forums and we’ll help you out.

Resources

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to link your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start a new thread and share a link to your published example.
  • Personal blog: If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We'll link to your posts so your great work gets even more exposure.
  • Social media: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can follow your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you dive into this week's challenge, check out the creative ways course designers are using the latest features in Articulate 360:

Articulate 360: New Features Challenge 2023 #420

Using Articulate 360's New Features #420: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

Learn more about the challenges in this Q&A post and why and how to participate in this helpful article

Next Week’s Challenge & Webinar

Got an idea for a challenge? Are you interested in doing a webinar showcasing how you made one or more challenge demos? Or do you have some comments for your humble challenge host? Use this anonymous form to share your feedback:  https://bit.ly/ElearningChallengeForm.

63 Comments
Ron Katz
Chris Hodgson
Catherine Gorman
Jonathan Hill
Courtney Roberts

Here is my project for this week's challenge... https://360.articulate.com/review/content/a12a6ed0-1326-41e3-8815-b763cc4ebcd3/review ... and let me tell you, it was a CHALLENGE! I'm honestly not sure that I used the T/F variable properly, but it is adjusted each time the user accesses the "cheat sheet" on the slides. Then the number of times the cheat sheet is accessed is counted and included in the final feedback slide at the end of the activity. There is likely a different (and perhaps better) way to do this and any advice is much appreciated. *Edited to add... I updated the activity to include a T/F variable that allows you to choose your head chef. All of the feedback layers still have the female because I didn't have time to change those yet. *Also, I used Jonathan Hill's... Expand

Carrie Susong Gurkin
Carrie Susong Gurkin
Kali Maginity
Wrenn Corcoran
Talent Gate eLearning
Jocelyne Olson