Can't import PowerPoint slides into Storyline 360.

Mar 28, 2017

I'm suddenly unable to import PowerPoint slides into  Storyline360. I've even tried importing slides I've imported before. Did something change? How can I fix? Thanks, Steve

132 Replies
Brandon Andrews

I keep receiving the "Failed to import" message. I have tried everything within the recommended actions on your FAQ. Repaired, uninstalled/reinstalled both PPT and Storyline. Using 2019 64bit PPT; locally installed. Files locally saved as well. File starts at Slide 1. Permissions match. Any suggestions?

Oscar Larrea Marion

Hi Maria,

I'm trying to import a powerpoint created in Mac and saved locally in a windows computer but during the import process, I get a log list of failures and the imported story has only 10 slides out of the 50 from the original file. DO you have any tips to help me out?

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Oscar, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Thank you for sharing your Powerpoint file! 

It looks like there is some corruption on the textbox of Slide 10, so I deleted it before importing the project, and all 59 slides came through. I copied the text from the PowerPoint file and pasted it into Slide 10. 

I am attaching the .story file here. Let me know if this works!

Alan Dickson

I've solved it, for me. I use Camtasia as well (as I am sure a lot of you do). The Camtasia add-in for PowerPoint was causing Storyline to not import the Storyline file.

In PowerPoint you need to disable the Camtasia add-in.

Open a PowerPoint > File > Options > Find the add-in and either remove it or untick it.

It then worked perfectly after.

Dominic Marinelli

I am running into the same issue.  I updated windows, articulate, ran an office 365 online repair.  Tried previous versions of PowerPoint, 64 bit, 32 bit.  I updated the latest software packs for PowerPoint and Office 365. The PowerPoint is not password protected, not encrypted, it does not require admin to run, but I am local admin on my device.  There are no security permissions set. All PowerPoints start with slide 1.  I felt as if I tried everything.  The only way I could get this to work was to create a copy of the original PowerPoint, then break it down into 32 separate PowerPoints.  One for each slide.  Then upload one at a time to Storyline360.  Once done, I combined them all and was able to save it as a .story file.  This went from a 20 min job to 6 hours of work real fast....  Is there an import size restriction by chance? A few months ago, I was able to import a 122 slide PowerPoint with audio and videos embedded.  I am so curious as to why this PowerPoint produced import issues, when it is much less cumbersome?

Luciana Piazza

Hi Dominic, 

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing what you have tried thus far. I'm sorry to hear you're running into this issue.

I have a few questions to better assist you: 

• Are you saving the PowerPoint file locally?
  • Is there a specific error message that's appearing on your end? 

If you've reviewed these reasons why it's not importing and you're still running into issues, would it be possible for you to share your PowerPoint file privately in a support case? I'd like our team to take a closer look at your file.

Hope that you have a great start to your week! Looking forward to hearing from you!