Closed Captions

Oct 18, 2022

Is there a way for Storyline to automatically take the audio that has been recorded for each slide and create closed captions? Is the only way to have closed captions is to manually type into the "Insert Captions" window each word? I am thinking there must be a faster, more efficient way. 

Thanks,

Connie Pearson

5 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Connie, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Storyline 360 currently doesn't come with an automatic Closed Captions generator. You'll need to use a third-party tool to generated the captions file. 

A quick way to generate a Closed Captions file is to use Youtube's automatic captioning feature to create the file. While we do not support this method, I've tested this out personally and can confirm that it works. Here's how to use the feature if you're interested.

I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, but you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request!

Connie Pearson

Hi Joe,

Thanks for responding so quickly. Do you know how to turn on the Closed Captions option for a new project? I need to provide closed captioning for all my Storyline courses moving forward.

Also, does the YouTube tool work on scorm files? The instructions say to upload a file. Would I upload the scorm file or the Storyline file? I am totally new at how Closed Captioning works so I am looking for some help.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Connie, 

I found this helpful discussion with a well received suggestion from a member of the community on how to enable Closed Captions by default. 

The Youtube video only works for video files, so you'll need to upload your video to Youtube in order to use their automatic captioning feature. 

Hope this helps!