Converting Mic Recorded Audio to Text to Speech in Storyline 360

Mar 28, 2024

Hi I was wondering if there was a way to convert audio that was previously recorded in Storyline 360 by a real human using a mic to text-to-speech without having to retype the script into the text to speech box? The person who initially did the audio for some of my courses is no longer an employee and now changes need to be made to the audio. I was hoping there was a way to make the switch without too much headache. 

Thank you!

Kelly

4 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

There's a few steps.

• You need to convert the audio you have to text.
  • Go to the media library and you can export all of the audio. Pay attention to the audio titles.
  • Then find a means to convert. If you do a search there are a number of paid and free strategies. I'd pay for something because you'll probably run into limits with free options and often those solutions are a bit buggy.  Amazon Transcribe is a good way to go.

Once you have the text:

• The original audio is located in the media library. and will have specific titles.
  • I'd export all of them for safe keeping, plus you need them to convert.
  • Option 1
    • Once you have a script, if you want to use Storyline's text to speech feature, I'd open a new Storyline course to just do the new audio. All of the audio you create will be in that file's media library. Pay attention to how you document the new and old files by title.
    • You can export the TTS audio you created to a folder on your computer.
    • Then go into your original course and from media library swap out the audio.
  • Option 2
    • The other option is to work in the original file and edit each slide individually
    • Create the new TTS audio
    • Get rid of the old audio once the new audio is added. I'd keep an archive of the old audio files as mentioned above, or I'd hide the old audio on the track so it's available if you need it for some reason.

Hopefully that points you in the right direction.