How to translate a 500 pages book about the art of selling into a Storyline 360 "How to...." interactive product?

Mar 17, 2024

Dear community,

I am in the process of developing a training plan/concept for translating a 500-page book dedicated to the art of selling. The book is structured into 14 chapters, each beginning with learning objectives (4-6 objectives) and concluding with a single page summarizing the key topics. The material is well-organized, which facilitates an easy starting point.

However, my challenge is to create a derivative work that transcends a direct reproduction of the book. Instead, I aim to enhance the content by fully leveraging the power of problem solving like "How to..." through a "just-in-time" learning methodology. To this end, I have opted to craft a storyboard using PowerPoint, as it is the only tool with which the author is familiar.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance and any creative input for this endeavor.

Warm regards,
Fabrice

8 Replies
Fabrice Guelat

Dear Walt,yes I am referring to the author of the book who asked me to make an interactive product of his book. It is not a one-to-one reproduction. It is not the idea. What I would like to find out is some kind of methodology on what Phil said "split it into smaller sections". I think the "how to...." logic with small "just in time" modules is the answer. I just want to know if someone already had this challenge and how can I tackle this challenge

Judy Nollet

Definitely do what you can to make it easy for the user to find what they need "just in time."

For a more engaging course, think CCC: context, challenge, consequences. In other words, present scenarios, and provide feedback based on how the user answers. This could be as simple as a multiple-choice question with feedback. Or it could be more complicated, for example, with a branching "dialog" that leads to different conclusions. 

The point is to let the user "practice" some real-world situations that illustrate points made in the book. (The book may already have good examples, though you might have to work with the author to determine the bad/incorrect responses and appropriate feedback.) 

Walt Hamilton

Oh, good. That’s a relief. You have no idea how many people disregard copy rights. 

For your smaller modules, you need to determine approximately what size chunk you want in each module. Then you or the author, or both, need to go through the book, and identify exactly what things it teaches, identifying items that are about the size of a chunk.  Group those together into similar groups. I would aim for 5 - 20 groups, which, depending on their size, can be separate modules, or if small enough, different scenes in one module. After that, it should be pretty easy to build some sort of Table of Contents, and you’re on your way. This planning is the most important part of the project.  Then you are ready to follow Judy’s suggestions. Context and Challenge are so important.  Consequences involves you evaluating their response, and giving the appropriate feedback.

I need to ask Judy, has Allen evolved to calling it Consequences, or does he still say Eval and Feedback?

Fabrice Guelat

Dear all, I like the idea of CCC with a scenario based approach. I have a meeting with the author next week and I wanted to draft a concept to help him/me to find a way to communicate in a more efficient way knowing that I will spend my time between Switzerland and Brazil and for him between Switzerland and Greece. Walt, you're absolutely right planning is the most important part of the project especially when you collaborate remotely. Real world scenario/examples is the key and I will ask the author how we can translate his book based on this approach. Many many thanks for your hints. It helps me a lot.