Forum Discussion

DanBaines
Community Member
9 days ago

Using "when media completes" to start new layer

I'm having big problems with this function in Storyline 360. 

I have a slide where users need to click different buttons which trigger audio commentaries.  After they have listened to all of it, I need a layer to show up revealing an image and playing accompanying audio for the image.  It should launch automatically and not be done on click.

To enable this, I have set the buttons to turn to visited when each piece of media completes and then launch the layer when all buttons are marked as visited.

The problem I have is that it seems to be changing state when the button is clicked and not when the media completes, meaning there is overlap of audio.  I have checked the trigger and they all follow this format, which I think is correct.

Set state of [button] to visitied

When [audio] completes

trigger to show the layer is

Show layer [layer 1]

When the state of all [buttons] is visited

Is it normal that the state changes immediately rather than when the audio track reaches its conclusion?

Would it make any difference to try it with variables instead?

Any help would be great!

• Visited is a built-in state, and it comes with built-in functionality. Any object with a Visited state will automatically change to Visited when it is clicked. 

Because you don't want the objects to change until media completes, use a custom state instead of Visited. For example, call it "Done." Then track when the state of all the buttons = Done.

• Visited is a built-in state, and it comes with built-in functionality. Any object with a Visited state will automatically change to Visited when it is clicked. 

Because you don't want the objects to change until media completes, use a custom state instead of Visited. For example, call it "Done." Then track when the state of all the buttons = Done.

DanBaines
    Community Member

This has solved it.  thanks a lot.  It was driving me absolutely crazy!

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

I'm glad this helped. As my "Primer" post says, many problems are related to triggers that do what’s already done automatically by the built-in states. Another common problem, as you discovered, is using a built-in state when a custom state will work better.

Best wishes for successful Storyline programming!