Importing 360 panoramas for interactive tours

Nov 09, 2018

Hi,

do you have plans to provide support for importing 360 panoramas and videos yet? Captivate 2019 has now the ability to add 360 slides and add hotspots and other interactive elements. I would prefer to work in Storyline 360 so having this option would be very useful now.

11 Replies
Joe He

Hey Ashley, thanks for your reply.

My scenario for 360 photos:

I have to show the learner a room. He can click at a board, a tool, a table, a door etc. to get to a specific slide, to zoom in, to show a layer etc. So he can move through a building and explore the tasks, informations etc.

Its a perfect way to show new employees the Companies rooms, too. (onboard learning module)
A learning module about safety at work (i.e. industrial business) would be a scenario, too.

My scenario for 360 videos:

The learner will be asked to pay attention/search for specific incidents/events and has to ask question in afterwards. During playback the video may stop at specific timestamps or to show a layer with more information about the occasions he just saw.  In a perfect scenario the user would be able to click on hotspots created in the video. (i know, this might be difficult to realize)

to sum up, i want to use 360 videos to show complex real world scenarios, which are difficult to understand with usual static photos. You see, there are many good working scenarios for these footage.

btw: I know up to eight other german companies which are using storyline, who would use this feature, too. (They don't write it here, due to various reasons like missing language skills etc.)

I will visit the fair Learntec 2019 in Germany and it would be really great to talk to your colleagues/staff there about this feature.

Again, Thanks for your interest!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks, Joe for all that info! Really helpful - do you have any examples of courses or videos where you've been using this already? If not, no worries - wanted to see what else I could share with our team. 

I don't know if anyone will be at Learntec, but definitely keep an eye out for the Articulate team! 

Joe He

Unfortunately no content yes i can share with third parties.  But if you imagine the described scenario above, i am sure they get an idea about my scenarios. They should think about complex industrial environments or multi rooms with different tasks and complex installations like machines or things like that. Think about small rooms like the machinery room of an big ship or in a car manufacturer etc.

Think about a small 360 Camera you can install on a car, a storage system with boxes, a drone, an R/C vehicle, autonomous robots, inside a machine etc.

Thanks

Joel

Darren McNeill

I concur. There is a huge shift towards AR/VR now for learning purposes to give users the added experience of near real world environments to explore and react to. Instead of following linear slides and then asked the standard multiple choice questions etc, there is a requirement now t change that to more immersive learning. For example using 360 images or videos to get users to explore and click on items using invisible buttons to either offer feedback pop up windows or it takes them to the next room or scenario. We have just purchased Enterprise licenses for Uptale for this purpose but the options are not great. The only thing that is going for it is that the VR projects can be SCORM tracked. The sooner Storyline can avail of this the better.

Sasha Malone

I would also love to see this developed.  I'm doing an introduction to a sound studio which has a number of things around the room I'd like the learner to explore.  It's important they know where everything is in relation to where they are standing and VR/360 with hotspots or zoom options would work really well. 

For example I may want them to see the console and when they click on it the screen zooms in and shows them the console in more detail.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone!

I have exciting news to share!
We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 54, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the features we’ve included is:

Create immersive learning experiences with 360° images. Add interactive elements, such as hotspots and markers to engage learners as they explore.

360° images are currently in public beta for Storyline 360, which means you can use them for production as we continue to enhance them.

To take advantage of this feature, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or directly reaching out to our Support Engineers