Published Background Different Than Preview
For context, I'm a long time user of Storyline (Have used 1 through 360. Currently 360). I know how to change backgrounds, slide masters, player settings, etc. ***edit. More details added after further investigation***
However, I am frustrated that the slide editor--and slide preview--in some cases look different than the published output.
In this example, the offending culprit was the background transparency.
This shows what my course exit slide looks like in the preview.
- Light grey background fits my branding theme and the dark text on top contrasts well.
- I used transparency on the star graphic image to get the right levels of color. This was intentional on the graphic image. However, I accidentally also set the transparency of the slide background to 100%. My fault.
- However, in the Storyline editor, AND in the preview mode, the default white background still shows through my slightly transparent background graphic, making the image display correctly. There was no indication from here that my slide was built incorrectly.
This shows how the dark grey background of the player suddenly comes through my background after publishing.
- The effect on the background looks pretty cool, but it's not what I wanted. My text is low-contrast now and the company logo version is now wrong for such a dark background.
- Again, the problem is my fault, but there was no way for me to know this until reviewing the course. The editor and the Storyline preview of the course both made it look like I had done everything correctly.
The immediate workaround is simple enough, fix the transparency setting on the slide background.
But the preview mode (at the very minimum, if not also the editor) should match the published version. This would make mistakes easier to catch and course publishing more efficient.